Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: case briefs  (Read 7310 times)

ruski

• View Profile
case briefs
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
i am finding that reading and briefing cases is taking up some time, particularly when i don't consult outside sources. i was wondering how bad would it be to just look up the case on wiki or the internet to get an idea of what its about then read the case. doing this drastically decreases the time it takes me to read a case. however, i'm afraid by taking this 'shortcut' i would be losing out on the reading comprehension aspect/ learning aspect of just reading a case on your own. has anyone whose done this feels like it would hinder them come exam time?

Blue08

• View Profile
Re: case briefs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »
It's a fine method. Do whatever works for you - the casebook itself is presenting you with an excerpted opinion, and, depending on how well it's edited, it might be difficult to really understand what's going on. I know that at least in my case that would drive me crazy sometimes. Wikipedia or a book of canned briefs can steer you in the right direction, but I wouldn't use it as a total substitute (unless you really need sleep - sleep is very important - or it's right before exams). Also, depending on the case it might not be online at all (though most are). And the biggest mistake to make in your first semester is to think that mastering the minutiae of every obscure detail in every line of dicta in every obscure case or in every obscure note is what's going to be on the exam. It won't be. You need to learn how to effectively read and understand a case, to be sure. But what an inefficient way to study (although it's hardly your fault for doing it that way because it's both what everyone else is doing and what you've been told to do by professors, etc.).

I gave up doing formal briefs in the second week of law school and started just annotating the cases in the margins of my book. That works fine for me. Then again, I'm not nearly the workhorse most law students are - I'm neurotic, but a rational neurotic. Unless for some particular reason briefing in the traditional sense provides you a benefit you can't obtain through a less time consuming method, do not just do it because everyone else is. And, in a broader sense, that advice should be applied to pretty much every other aspect of law school as well. And, again, I am not the typical law student, especially at the school I attend. But, ask anyone I study with/talk to and I've got just as good a grasp of the material as anyone else. I just trust myself enough to know what works for me, and to hell with the rest.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:38:12 AM »
Don't waste time briefing. The internet is all you really need, though you should still read or at least skim the cases if you have the time.

The only thing you usually need to comprehend about a case is what your prof thinks is important, and they'll tell you all about that.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
http://www.lawnix.com/cases/
Just type in the case A v. B and you will get a very concise case brief.  You will also get a few hours of your life back!!!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:47:39 AM »
Just type in the case A v. B and you will get a very concise case brief.  You will also get a few hours of your life back!!!

If this site is as good as the last time I used it, it has a fractional amount of cases and most of the briefs suck.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »
i am finding that reading and briefing cases is taking up some time, particularly when i don't consult outside sources. i was wondering how bad would it be to just look up the case on wiki or the internet to get an idea of what its about then read the case. doing this drastically decreases the time it takes me to read a case. however, i'm afraid by taking this 'shortcut' i would be losing out on the reading comprehension aspect/ learning aspect of just reading a case on your own. has anyone whose done this feels like it would hinder them come exam time?

You only need to brief cases for the first few weeks of law school or for however long it takes for you to be able to recognize how to read a case, dissect it into its components (procedural history, facts, issue, rule, reasoning), and take from it whatever it is you are looking for.  Once you are able to do that STOP BRIEFING!!! Get a case brief supplement or look up the cases on lexis or westlaw or whatever and call it a day.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Doscervesas

• Yes, please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:25:42 PM »
I agree that briefing is a waste of time and that the internet should be able to provide decent enough briefs to get me though. I found www.onelbriefs.com is awesome for Civil Procedure and Contracts. Hope this helps some of you out!

MurphyMX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »

If this site is as good as the last time I used it, it has a fractional amount of cases and most of the briefs suck.

I haven't had a problem with Lawnix. Which site or sites do you think are better?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 11:06:09 PM »

I haven't had a problem with Lawnix. Which site or sites do you think are better?

Westlaw.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:04:04 PM »
I guess I'm in the small minority that still briefs cases.   :-\