Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: After Callback: Sending thank you notes or emailing.  (Read 2519 times)

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
After Callback: Sending thank you notes or emailing.
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
When should I contact attorneys to thank them after callback interview?  By email or snail mail?  Any other tips about my thank you note?  Thanks a lot and good luck guys.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: After Callback: Sending thank you notes or emailing.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »
When should I contact attorneys to thank them after callback interview?  By email or snail mail?  Any other tips about my thank you note?  Thanks a lot and good luck guys.

i only sent email thank you notes.  i tried to include a sentence or two on what we talked about so that it wasn't TOO cookie-cutter.  seemed to have worked out okay.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »
After sitting on the interviewer's side of the desk this year, I can say that for me, email is just fine.  Substance is more important than form - DO NOT have any typos or grammatical errors!

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
I did a bunch of interviewing this year as well, and I have received a few handwritten notes from candidates the day after their interview.  One even sent hers FedEx. While I'm ok with e-mail thank you notes, I think the handwritten ones are a particularly nice touch, and I did let the hiring partners know about that.  But then again, I am very old-school.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
An e-mail, if anything, is fine.  It isn't going to make you, but it CAN break you if you screw something up.

I'm going to a large law firm upon graduation and summered at 2 large firms while in school.  I've spoken to recruiters and they both said that while it's nice to get a thank you, it will never secure any type of offer, but it can definitely hurt a student if they make a mistake in the thank you note.