Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RomLaw  (Read 1325 times)

johnnyv1117

• View Profile
RomLaw
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
Today i received an ad for this database called RomLaw and went online and have downloaded a free trial.  They have casebriefs keyed to each casebook as well as a law dictionary and other study/exam aids.  I was curious if anyone else uses the product and if they have had success with it before i decide to shell out the 59 bucks for the year.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: RomLaw
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »
If you have free Lexis/Westlaw access through school, I don't see how this adds to anything.  Lexis has the short case synopsis on most cases, and Westlaw has Black's.  I guess it just depends on 1) how much you feel your time is worth (I was fine looking up the handful of cases for each class to copy/paste the Lexis outline in my notes), and 2) how much you think their supplemental stuff is worth.  You can get the most popular supplements pretty cheap if you buy them used online, and can usually sell them back for about what you paid.

johnnyv1117

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »
The thing i noticed about Romlaw is that the briefs are keyed to the actual casebook and includes only the material in the specific book that you are using including concurring and dissenting opinions as well as rules of law applied.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »
My reaction?  Meh.  As a poor law student, that still wouldn't be worth the $$ for me.  But I think it depends on whether you are using these briefs as a complete substitute for reading, which is something I never did.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
My reaction?  Meh.  As a poor law student, that still wouldn't be worth the $$ for me.  But I think it depends on whether you are using these briefs as a complete substitute for reading, which is something I never did.

Yeah, I never substituted something like that for actually reading the assignments. 

I've noticed OP, that at my school the people who tended to use those books didn't as well wrt grades.  Of course, that could be self-selection, and that's only anecdotal evidence, but take it for what it's worth!  :)