Law School Discussion

Native American Law focus?

Native American Law focus?
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
Hello! first want to start off by saying i am new here :)

i am very interested in learning about native american (as in american indian) law, mostly as a specialization or a focus. i know university of washington has this but is there any other law schools that do this? i have only found ones with a class or two.

thank you!

Remarq

• View Profile
Re: Native American Law focus?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
I seem to recall MSU-Law having something like this, could be wrong.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »
thank you for replying! i will check this out.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »
FWIW I'm just a 1L at OU (Oklahoma) so I don't know a lot about the programs here yet, but we have a certificate program in American Indian Law. Compared to other law schools, we have a fairly extensive list of classes to choose from (5-6 maybe?), a federal indian law clinical externship, and a law journal dedicated to Native American Law. I don't know too much more than that, though...

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:47 PM »
From what I recall when I was looking at schools, OU does have one of the better NA law programs.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
From what I recall when I was looking at schools, OU does have one of the better NA law programs.

Are there jobs out there for this specialization.  Seriously! 

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »
The university of New Mexico is probably your best bet. They offer a specialization in Indian Law, Indian law clinicals and they have a Tribal Law Journal.

Having lived in New Mexico and having encountered some tribal law issues, I can tell you that they don't take too kindly to non-Indian folk practicing Indian law, so if you're not Indian you might want to take this into consideration.

http://lawschool.unm.edu/indian/index.php

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »

Are there jobs out there for this specialization.  Seriously! 
Yes, although the degree specialization is not necessary in order to get those jobs.

I've met the tribal counsel (or at least he was at the time) for the Muckleshoot tribe in Washington state.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
The university of New Mexico is probably your best bet. They offer a specialization in Indian Law, Indian law clinicals and they have a Tribal Law Journal.

Having lived in New Mexico and having encountered some tribal law issues, I can tell you that they don't take too kindly to non-Indian folk practicing Indian law, so if you're not Indian you might want to take this into consideration.

Do they really called it the Indian Law?   Don't they know by now that the correct term is Native-American? 

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »

Do they really called it the Indian Law?   Don't they know by now that the correct term is Native-American? 

Um... No, it's not. Either are acceptable, though Indian Law is more common.