Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deciding --  (Read 1135 times)

NYHappy

• View Profile
    • Email
Deciding --
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
I have decided to go to law school.

I worked extremely hard in high school and just as hard in college.

I want to go ahead and apply to law school, be accpeted and defer acceptance for one year.

I know a few schools allow this.

I will graduate from an Ivy League School most likely Magna Cum Laude -- unless this coming year falls apart and I doubt that it will with just ten hours left for my senior year.

I am taking the Honors Thesis classes and so hopefully with graduate Magna Cum Laude with either Honors or Highest Honors (depending on how much I put into it) from Columbia.

I know Columbia will allow a student to be accepted and defer for one year.

Will any other schools?

Is there a bias against Columbia undergrads for Columbia Law?  Do they shoot for diversity?

I would consider Yale or Stanford but think I just want to stay in NYC.

Also -- in terms of scholarships, will there be an advantage to being an Honors Graduate.  Does that translate into more scholarship money or is there scholarship money in the top tier law schools? 

Am I being presumptios to assume I will be admitted to a top tier law school?  I have absolutely no interest in Harvard Law.  Too big and Boston is not an attractive location for my interests.

I have exceptional ECs and work history as well.  Would like to pursue an opportunity there for a year.  I am pretty burned out and just cannot take another year of grueling work.  I need a break.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deciding --
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, there's really no advantage for you to apply to law school this year and then defer your acceptance. You could wait a year and then apply. It'd be much easier. Also, if you're burned out, it might be better to give yourself a break before you really start studying for the LSAT.

NYHappy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:38:38 AM »
I am not going to study for the LSAT.  I'll just take it.

Do people really study for that?  I did not study for the SAT so I guess that will work for the LSAT.  Cannot imagine wasting my time on that.

My question is -- other than COlumbia do you know who else has a deferral in the top tier schools?

I would consider NYU, Yale, Stanford.  I know Columbia has a deferral.

I want to be accepted, get that behind me and then enjoy a year working.  Just not have that hanging over my head so I can really enjoy my year.

My second question is --- will graduating with honors help with scholarships or will Magna Cum Laude from Ivy be just as good?

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
flame

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
I think this is flame too.  You're so cocky assuming all these top schools want you that you're not even going to study for the LSAT, yet you're worried about having admissions "hanging over your head."  bull, my friend, b u l l  * & ^ %.

crossingmyfingers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:37:15 AM »
flame

I like how the person would consider YSCN but not H. 

NYHappy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
Okay ... I get it.

We do not even reside on the same planet.

That's fine.

I'll probably just go to Columbia or Stanford.

Wishing you well.  I am sure our paths will never cross.  We live in different worlds, O-B-V-I-O-U-S-L-Y

My world is neither desperate nor crude.  Nor is it one in which anyone would challenge the premise of my question and ignore the real question.

I suspect no one here has any basis from which to respond to my questions.

Clearly, I go back to my world and you can reside in yours.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
Okay ... I get it.

We do not even reside on the same planet.

That's fine.

I'll probably just go to Columbia or Stanford.

Wishing you well.  I am sure our paths will never cross.  We live in different worlds, O-B-V-I-O-U-S-L-Y

My world is neither desperate nor crude.  Nor is it one in which anyone would challenge the premise of my question and ignore the real question.

I suspect no one here has any basis from which to respond to my questions.

Clearly, I go back to my world and you can reside in yours.

Do you even have an LSAT score yet?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »
I think that you should go ahead with your plan to not study or prep for the LSAT and simply rely on the natural talents, abilities and work ethic that has served you well for so much of your academic career. I'm sure that you will recieve the LSAT results (and resulting scholarship offers)that you would reasonably expect to get.
Good luck there...  :)
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY