Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rumor -- Grants dissapear for grad/law students?  (Read 2798 times)

lawschool0192

• View Profile
Rumor -- Grants dissapear for grad/law students?
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:27:06 PM »
Hello All,

A close, and usually well-informed friend told me with a degree of certainty that "grants don't exist for grad/law students; it's all loans." Is this true?

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor -- Grants dissapear for grad/law students?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
Hello All,

A close, and usually well-informed friend told me with a degree of certainty that "grants don't exist for grad/law students; it's all loans." Is this true?

no.  i got grants.  so did plenty of other people.

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »
Does need-based aid still exist? For example, in undergrad, my college calculated the cost of attendance, subtracted my Expected Family Contribution, and then met the difference with a combination of grants and loans. My friend is basically saying that the grants during this step disappears, and that the law school meets your "need" completely with loans.

musicfor18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
I think that this is typically true, although I'm not 100% clear on it. It seems that most grants from law schools are merit-based and some may be based on combined merit/need. But I don't think we can expect much, if any, grant money based on need like we got in undergrad.