Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does having Dreads or locks matter  (Read 12927 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Does having Dreads or locks matter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
I generally concur with all the advice given so far.   I have met a couple brothers in Biglaw who have locks that were well kept, so I know it can play over in the professional setting.  I remember one cat in particular was at Paul Weiss here in NY. Understand that not every firm may be as progressive as others though, so you have to take that into consideration. 

In law school it doesn't matter at all.  When applying for jobs it may matter, depending on the cultural awareness of the firm.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

new2sld

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »
Wow these are all big eye openers, but we also need to be realistic. Just because it is against the law to hire based on personal apperance don't mean people will abide by it. I could lose a job due to my locks, however, they are not going to give me this reasoning. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to cut them off right before entering law school. Once I get established in a firm I will began to grow my hair back. Although going through the "hair growing stage" might be a problem.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »
Wow these are all big eye openers, but we also need to be realistic. Just because it is against the law to hire based on personal apperance don't mean people will abide by it. I could lose a job due to my locks, however, they are not going to give me this reasoning. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to cut them off right before entering law school. Once I get established in a firm I will began to grow my hair back. Although going through the "hair growing stage" might be a problem.

Lol I know quite a few black people would not hire someone with dreads if someone who had no dreads was available...

Neat ones might get a bly...but I can't picture myself choosing a dreadlocked lawyer over one with a simple fade to rep me in court.

And i'm Jamaican. lol  I would want the judge to like my representative...and if I have the bias, how much more the old fogey up on the bench?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:29:07 AM »
there's a reason the advice to young black men remains the same: clean-cut, well-dressed (blue or gray, not black, suit...3 or, preferably, 2 buttons), proper English.

Operational

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
I personally like dreadlocks if they are three to four inches long and are well-kept. However when dreads get large, they become unprofessional looking.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »
There's an ADA in the court my clinic works in who has locks so long he can sit on them. He ties them back with locks from the side of his head (half-back sort of look). I think he looks very professional (always in a suit), but I always think natural hairstyles look professional. What do I know.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
I'm going to echo all that's been said.  I used to have dreads down to my shoulders in college.  While studying abroad, I was looking for a summer job in that city.   I was advised by the director of my program that employers in that country might find the dreads to be too much.  Never mind that I was a black man in China.  I got jobs and I probably would have had I not cut the dreads, but if they may present any form of limitation to you advancing your career goals, then it's really time to think about getting a cut. 

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
There's an ADA in the court my clinic works in who has locks so long he can sit on them. He ties them back with locks from the side of his head (half-back sort of look). I think he looks very professional (always in a suit), but I always think natural hairstyles look professional. What do I know.

He might be very different, or that DA office might have been very desperate.  It is common knowledge that dreads in any line of work that requires a suit are not considered professional.  Plus people who have established themselves or are going to work for a relative have way less restrictions than the unknown untried newbie.  People want to see how much new folks can fit in, not how much they can stand out.  Aside from religious reasons for the middle 50% of jobhunters, the dreads aren't going to fly.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »
He's very young (oh, and also he's fairly short). He's a local DA working in a majority-minority local court. I personally think it probably helps the office's status in the neighborhood to have someone clearly attuned to his heritage working for the state and not for the defendants.

Also, doesn't hurt that he's hot.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 04:49:58 PM »
How tall are you? Tall dudes can do dreads. Short dudes are advised to remove them.

This perplexingly makes sense.