Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does having Dreads or locks matter  (Read 12199 times)

new2sld

• View Profile
    • Email
Does having Dreads or locks matter
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
I have dreads and they are well kept (not the king that has alot of new growth), and I was wondering if law other black male law students have them. I hear alot of people saying they are cutting their dreads off to give off a more professional look. Does this really matter? Should I cut my hair before law school? Also I wanted to know the dress-code for black law students. Is everyone showing up in suits, or does everyone dress comfortable?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: Does having Dreads or locks matter
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
I have dreads and they are well kept (not the king that has alot of new growth), and I was wondering if law other black male law students have them. I hear alot of people saying they are cutting their dreads off to give off a more professional look. Does this really matter? Should I cut my hair before law school? Also I wanted to know the dress-code for black law students. Is everyone showing up in suits, or does everyone dress comfortable?

you have to be empowered and savvy....check out the edge in my avatar...its bad. 8)

px.o.rsta 8)
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »
I'm not black, but I had long dreads before lawschool and cut them off shortly before classes started.  It was sort of a chance to reinvent myself more than anything, but there's also a dope-smoking-hippie stigma that comes with being white with dreads, and I wanted to avoid that from the start. 

Anyway, if you want to keep them, it shouldn't be a big deal until interview season.

eta: My crim prof from last semester has some really nice dreads.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
How tall are you? Tall dudes can do dreads. Short dudes are advised to remove them.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

new2sld

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
Thanx for all the comments lol, however what does my height have to do with anything. Also to the guy that cut his dreads off, do you regret doing it, and if so why or why not.

vansondon

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
I think this is a very personal choice.  Locks are culturally significant for the representation of black heritage, it shouldn't be the antithesis of "professional."  I see many brothas and sistas with locks wearing business suits; they look professional. Now whether they had their locks at the time they interviewed, or whether they got their foot in the door first and then grew their locks remains unknown to me. The truth is, you want to work at a place that's going to value diversity (all kinds).  Any place that will not hire you because you have locks is probably not a place you want to work (other issues are bound to come up). Discrimination based on personal appearance is also illegal in many jurisdictions; so basing hiring decisions on hair type is a big no no for the sake of employment discrimination litigation.  Still, be true to yourself, but also be realistic at the same time. Choose your battles according to what's ultimately important to you. 

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
I think this is a very personal choice.  Locks are culturally significant for the representation of black heritage, it shouldn't be the antithesis of "professional."  I see many brothas and sistas with locks wearing business suits; they look professional. Now whether they had their locks at the time they interviewed, or whether they got their foot in the door first and then grew their locks remains unknown to me. The truth is, you want to work at a place that's going to value diversity (all kinds).  Any place that will not hire you because you have locks is probably not a place you want to work (other issues are bound to come up). Discrimination based on personal appearance is also illegal in many jurisdictions; so basing hiring decisions on hair type is a big no no for the sake of employment discrimination litigation.  Still, be true to yourself, but also be realistic at the same time. Choose your battles according to what's ultimately important to you. 

TITCR
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »
I'm not black, but I had long dreads before lawschool and cut them off shortly before classes started. 

NOT AT ALL HOW I PICTURED U
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »
Thanx for all the comments lol, however what does my height have to do with anything. Also to the guy that cut his dreads off, do you regret doing it, and if so why or why not.

No, I don't regret it.  I had my hair long for about 12 years and it was time for a change.  It was also a milestone birthday, a move to a new city, and the start of school all at once.  What better time?  I also don't miss spending 2 hours washing and drying my hair.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:43:18 AM »
Thanx for all the comments lol, however what does my height have to do with anything.

I explained this already. Maybe dreads are the least of your law school related concerns...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.