Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is THE WORST that could happen?  (Read 9187 times)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: What is THE WORST that could happen?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »
Always an option...

During 1L year, there was a woman in one of my classes who would just mumble something inaudible to the professor.
After telling her to speak up 2-3 times and getting equally inaudible responses, he just gave up.

Today I learned that I don't have Civ Pro with the same professor that Nealric did.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
I know everyone keeps telling you don't worry......no one will be paying attention.  Though this is probably true I know you still don't want to mess up.  I would just say be thoroughly prepared for class. When the professor calls on you don't get all crazy and nervous, but just answer the question and pretend that you are explaining something to someone you are comfortable with like a friend or family member.  That kind of always put me at ease when speaking in front of the class.  I wish I had some better advise to give you, but really I think you'll be fine.

~GOOD LUCK~
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 03:43:51 AM »
What's the WORST that could happen? You could say something dumb, be mocked, and have your silly comment referenced for the rest of the class session...or even the rest of the semester! Alternately, you could say nothing at all, petrified from fear, and either pass out or vomit. Then, your nearby colleagues will need to assist you with your medical condition while class marches on.

In either mortifying scenario, you'd still proceed with your life, and graduate, and hit the workforce, and no one would be the wiser. :-)

Basically, the "worst" that could happen is just that you won't perform well, and you'll internally beat yourself up, and then you'll move on and feel less scared the next time (and the next, and the next).

I think a lot of the fear that comes from the Socratic method is just fear of public speaking, fear of being judged, fear of failure. If you're terribly worried about public speaking, you can overcome your fears through Toastmasters, other public speaking or outreach programs, or confidence/leadership efforts.

One simple, expedient way to rip the Bandaid off: volunteer. Yep. Raise your hand and ask a question, or volunteer an answer. Or go up after class and talk to the professor. That eliminates the mystery and the suspense.

It helps to remind yourself that it won't make a difference in two years. Hell, it's unlikely to make an impact in 2 weeks. So, if you can conquer your nerves here, you can redirect that energy towards something else.

Don't worry -- this, too, shall pass! And when it does, you'll be a bit stronger for it.
Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »
i have a student in my section who moved from japan the day before school started.

his english is terrible...i mean, barely recognizable as such.

when he got called on he asked what the word "criminal" meant.

the prof told him and that was the last of the questioning.

it was no big deal then, and it's no big deal now.

remember class participation means next to nothing (and absolutely nothing in most cases.)

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
What's the WORST that could happen? You could say something dumb, be mocked, and have your silly comment referenced for the rest of the class session...or even the rest of the semester! Alternately, you could say nothing at all, petrified from fear, and either pass out or vomit. Then, your nearby colleagues will need to assist you with your medical condition while class marches on.In either mortifying scenario, you'd still proceed with your life, and graduate, and hit the workforce, and no one would be the wiser. :-)

Basically, the "worst" that could happen is just that you won't perform well, and you'll internally beat yourself up, and then you'll move on and feel less scared the next time (and the next, and the next).

I think a lot of the fear that comes from the Socratic method is just fear of public speaking, fear of being judged, fear of failure. If you're terribly worried about public speaking, you can overcome your fears through Toastmasters, other public speaking or outreach programs, or confidence/leadership efforts.

One simple, expedient way to rip the Bandaid off: volunteer. Yep. Raise your hand and ask a question, or volunteer an answer. Or go up after class and talk to the professor. That eliminates the mystery and the suspense.

It helps to remind yourself that it won't make a difference in two years. Hell, it's unlikely to make an impact in 2 weeks. So, if you can conquer your nerves here, you can redirect that energy towards something else.

Don't worry -- this, too, shall pass! And when it does, you'll be a bit stronger for it.

:D :D ;D  Too cute!

cdrhodes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
My property prof. said "God I wish they had math on the LSAT" last semester when a student couldn't figure out some basic math for adverse possession.  We all thought it was hilarious but the kid it was directed at didn't think so. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
My property prof. said "God I wish they had math on the LSAT" last semester when a student couldn't figure out some basic math for adverse possession.  We all thought it was hilarious but the kid it was directed at didn't think so.

Lawyers are supposed to be bad at math just like doctors are supposed to be bad at handwriting.  It's the nature of the universe; the way God intended it.

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »

Lawyers are supposed to be bad at math just like doctors are supposed to be bad at handwriting.  It's the nature of the universe; the way God intended it.

This is evidenced in how lawyers bill.  It's always big round easy to multiply and divide numbers for retainers and hourly rates.  An attorney retainer will never be a number like $47,863.53 instead of $50k, nor will an hourly billable rate be something like $387.50 instead of a round $400

Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 04:00:46 AM »
I know everyone keeps telling you don't worry......no one will be paying attention.  Though this is probably true I know you still don't want to mess up.  I would just say be thoroughly prepared for class. When the professor calls on you don't get all crazy and nervous, but just answer the question and pretend that you are explaining something to someone you are comfortable with like a friend or family member. 

One should be prepared for class, but NOT to look good.  The best students minimize their in-class performance, rather than trying to shine.  For the best long-term results (i.e., referrals [with money attached!!!] from your future colleagues), you should not "shine," but instead come across as competent, likeable, and trustworthy. 

Preparation for class means understanding what will be discussed in that day's class.  Note, this does not mean "do all your case briefs" or "stay up all night 'catching up' on your reading" or any such nonsense.  It means understanding what the professor is saying.  Magically, if your study is focused in this direction, you can actually do a passable job responding to the professor even if you didn't read the case (not that that's what I'm recommending).

As hard as it is to accept, remember that law school grades are based on your exam.  Thus, your attention must remained focused there.  The classroom is a chance for you to practice, whether or not you're being called on.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
An attorney retainer will never be a number like $47,863.53 instead of $50k, nor will an hourly billable rate be something like $387.50 instead of a round $400

People don't bill out at $387.50 an hour, but few attorneys at large firms bill out in fully round numbers. It's more like $380/hr for a Jr. associate or $930 for a sr. partner.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?