Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: YOUNG BLACK MAN NEEDS HELP  (Read 1395 times)

new2sld

• View Profile
    • Email
YOUNG BLACK MAN NEEDS HELP
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
Hi readers! I am a 21 year old Black man. I am in my second year of undergrad school. I am the first out of my family to even attemp going to college. My family don't really understand the different majors and fields in college. They think if you go to college and get a degree you're set for life. It took me 2 years to get my mind together and roll up my sleeves and go. I have a 3.0 gpa (as of now) and I'm majoring in International Business. My goal is to go to Law School and become a Lawyer. However, my major has nothing to do with law, so my concern is how will i prepare myself for the LSAT when my major has nothing to do with law. I am not sure as to what part of law i want to practice, however I do know I want to attend a law school in which I can be taught throughly. Like i said earlier in the text my family doesn't have a clear understanding, (and I'm the person the whole family is depending on to make it), so I don't have anyone else to turn to for help. Also I want to know how do i go about studying for the lsat. Are there any websites or specific books etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

new2sld

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: YOUNG BLACK MAN NEEDS HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »
Thanks, this information took a lot of stress off of me

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Hi readers! I am a 21 year old Black man. I am in my second year of undergrad school. I am the first out of my family to even attemp going to college. My family don't really understand the different majors and fields in college. They think if you go to college and get a degree you're set for life. It took me 2 years to get my mind together and roll up my sleeves and go. I have a 3.0 gpa (as of now) and I'm majoring in International Business. My goal is to go to Law School and become a Lawyer. However, my major has nothing to do with law, so my concern is how will i prepare myself for the LSAT when my major has nothing to do with law. I am not sure as to what part of law i want to practice, however I do know I want to attend a law school in which I can be taught throughly. Like i said earlier in the text my family doesn't have a clear understanding, (and I'm the person the whole family is depending on to make it), so I don't have anyone else to turn to for help. Also I want to know how do i go about studying for the lsat. Are there any websites or specific books etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

First of all, welcome to the board.

Second, your major doesn't have to have anything to do with law in order to go to law school. In fact, most of us didn't major in anything law related.  You can literally major in anything and go to law school.

Third, as far as prepping for the LSAT, see the LSAT board on this website.  All the info you'll ever need in there.

Good luck.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

jxf8600

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »
i have a question if you been to a few colleges and two of the schools gpa are real low but the school im  attending currently , my gpa is acceptable how would most law schools view me. among other things will it hurt me.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »
For better or worse, it will all be aggregated...so, yes.