Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Commercial Outlines  (Read 1126 times)

TinaTrojan

• View Profile
Commercial Outlines
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »
I've been lurking for a few weeks before starting school and felt you guys could help!  Are commercial outlines worth the investment?  I am just starting out and reading the cases in torts is already confusing me!  I saw this ad on Ebay and was thinking about bidding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=280389223018&Category=268&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Can I get some advice from you guys? 

Thanks!

Christina

tarkin79

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Commercial Outlines
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:48:12 AM »
I'm a 2L. Commercial outlines are essential to my studying. I would skip the flash cards and just get the books individually on half.com, amazon.com, or abebooks.com. Get used ones. I use Emanuel (mostly) and I've used one or two Gilberts.

Just remember - each class usually covers one topic. Each case covers one aspect of that topic. Learn to identify what each case means - what "one thing" does each case cover?

I create one page of notes on each topic. Condense the material down to what you need. For example - battery - all you need to know (pretty much) is:

1. Intentional
2. Harmful or offensive
3. Contact

(IHOC - create acronyms where you can)

There are a few special rules, like bumping into people in hallways or whatever, but just fill in those definitions of each element. Review your one page topics regularly. By the time exams come, you'll be well prepared.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Commercial Outlines
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »
The flashcards are fun.  We played trivial pursuit with them during the reading period.