Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is an LL.M?  (Read 1146 times)

GoVols

• View Profile
    • Email
What is an LL.M?
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »
Wikipedia is very confusing on this subject. 

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is an LL.M?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:35:41 PM »
Unless you're a foreign-trained lawyer or are that desperate to get Yale on your resume by any means necessary, or are in the military, it doesn't matter to you what an LLM is.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
There are certain complicated fields where an LLM would be of use to U.S. attorneys... St. John's offers an LLM in Bankruptcy for those interested in that field, Temple has an LLM in Trial Advocacy. I'm sure there are others, but the point is that they are a clear specialization that is unnecessary for the vast majority of lawyers.
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
Don't forget tax LLMs.

Basically, LLMs are for foreign students wanting to practice in the US or for certain specialties. Many LLMs (but not all) are pretty worthless from a career standpoint.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Michigan_Saintsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 01:04:24 AM »
Don't forget tax LLMs.

Basically, LLMs are for foreign students wanting to practice in the US or for certain specialties. Many LLMs (but not all) are pretty worthless from a career standpoint.

I don't understand the expanding number of these programs and I have to question the value of many of them.

Nevertheless, if you wanted to work in tax, then there's no way you are qualified to do that with a couple of JD-level classes. Maybe there are a few JD tax concentrations that work but you really can't plan to figure out corp, partnership and international tax (especially transfer pricing issues) without the LL.M. experience.

In the area of tax you'll want the LL.M. or at least employers will want you to have it.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »

I don't understand the expanding number of these programs 

They are HUGE cash cows. The schools usually staff the LLM programs with mostly adjuncts making $1,500 per semester class. This is also why even top tax LLM admissions is quite lax- they just need warm bodies paying tuition.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Michigan_Saintsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »

I don't understand the expanding number of these programs 

They are HUGE cash cows. The schools usually staff the LLM programs with mostly adjuncts making $1,500 per semester class. This is also why even top tax LLM admissions is quite lax- they just need warm bodies paying tuition.

I get the profit part ok. I do not get how so many buyers are writing the checks.

Agreed that most LLM programs have significant adjunct staff.

I do not agree that top LLM programs have "lax" admissions, or at least not top tax LLM programs (NYU,GT,FL), which is all that I know about. Maybe you meant lax admissions for the suspect-LLMs?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
The LLM is the Masterís of Laws Degree, or the next degree after the JD. Having an LLM allows you to specialize, and publish. For government jobs the LLM will bump you one GS level over just the JD. Other employers will count an LLM as one year experience when looking for specialty attorneys (example requirements may be 1-3 years of tax experience or LLM and 1-2 years experience).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Blue08

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
I don't mean to hijack (well, maybe), but how about the same question for the JSD (SJD?)

I realize that it's supposedly a research degree for those interested in academia (or so say the websites), but what about particulars? How long does it take to complete? And mostly, why? 99% of law profs either have JDs only, PhDs only (a smaller number, naturally), JD/LLM, JD/PhD, or some other wacky combination. But I don't know/haven't seen a single prof (at least at my school, a T10) with an SJD.

WTF is the point?