Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hospitality Suite Etiquette  (Read 1323 times)

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hospitality Suite Etiquette
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »
Good grades at a good school, didn't do well in OCI bidding and want to get more interviews.

Someone tell me how resume spamming the hospitality suite works?  Walk in, chat up someone and explain you didn't get an interview + offer your resume?  Yes, I'm a social retard (sort of).
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitality Suite Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
I can tell you what I saw when we went through OCI.  Some people would go up to the suite and hand them a resume (however, I don't think this is effective, unless your resume is out of the ordinary great). I even saw a student wait outside an interviewer's room and caught him during the break asking if he wouldn't mind talking to the student.  Effectively, that interviewer gave up half of his lunch.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
Well, I have strong credentials but don't want to look like a feminine hygiene product.  Has anyone had experience or success with saying you're very interested in X but didn't get a lottery interview?
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
Before you harass the interviewer, talk to the coordinator in the suite.  They can hook you up with a free spot sometimes also occasionally they will ask an interviewer to just add one on at the end of the day as well.

Best advice is to get there really early and be the first one to chat up the coordinator, even ITE there are almost always one or two slots that open up.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »
The best approach is to identify the firms you'd like to interview with and didn't get a slot for.  Contact their recruiting people (the coordinator, not the hiring partner) and simply say hey I'm interested in your firm (you'd best know something about the firm), bid for it but didn't get it, can you fit me in? I've done this a few times, and every time the firm was super excited to hear from me and found a way for me to interview.

Also, this is where some prior networking helps - I went to many of those free 1L dinners and happy hours and met folks.  Most everyone I talked to from those firms said that if I didn't do well in the bidding to be sure to contact them and they'd be sure to slot me in somewhere.  To the extent I had reason to test this, they were all true to their word.

I would recommend against showing up to the hospitality suit unannounced as their schedules tend to be really packed, most firms end up getting a bit behind and chances of them being able to slot you in on the spot are not fantastic.  Also it makes it look like you don't have your act together or really aren't all that interested in the firm.  A bit of initiative ahead of time goes a long way.  The earlier you can contact the firm the better, but even if its the day before they are interviewing you should have no problems.
HLS 2010

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 03:00:51 AM »
The best way to do it is to show up early in the morning before interviews start.  No other students will be around and you can try to either interview before their first scheduled interview or see if they can fit you in during a break or at the end. 

Oh, and I agree with the above poster that if at all possible try to contact them before their scheduled OCI day.