Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Time budgeting--Lacrosse 1L  (Read 1133 times)

yuanli12

• View Profile
Time budgeting--Lacrosse 1L
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
I have the opportunity to use my last year of eligibility in lacrosse at a d3 school.  I am trying to set up a flexible schedule that will allow me 4hrs of outside study for every hour of class.  I'm planning on 4hrs a day to be set as practice/lift/prep for lacrosse a day.  Essentially studying 6 days a wk with one day off for about 40hrs/wk.

I guess I am asking if it's reasonable to think that I will be able to block out a 4 hour period as leisure (lacrosse) during my first semester?

My dilemma is that I really enjoy lacrosse, and feel that it will provide me with a mental escape from the expected stress of the first year.  I feel that lacrosse will also help me maintain a higher level of concentration and lower levels of anxiety.  I think the scheduling of lacrosse will also help structure my day/wk.

I am concerned that I am trying to do too much without yet fully understanding the true demands of the first year.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

DirkDiggler

• View Profile
Re: Time budgeting--Lacrosse 1L
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
Play lacrosse.  If you don't, you'll (1) regret it, (2) be miserable, and (3) waste the same amount of time doing something less productive.  And, on the upside, you'll have a great conversation starter for interviews next fall. 

I know several posters--Trivium, for example--that would agree.  You need leisure time. 

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
You can definitely find time to play lacrosse, though it might be a bit hectic come finals time so you might want to make sure it won't interfere then.

ondeadlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
There is no way - NONE - that you will be able to compete in Div. III lacrosse and not suffer a reduction in grades in law school.

I think the posters telling you to attempt this fail to understand the commitment required.

My own perspective is that of a 2L on law review and the brother of a Div. II lacrosse head coach (who has also coached in Div. III previously). The practice, game and travel commitments are simply too much, and will conflict with classes, reading and exam prep.

Don't even think about it. If you want to finish up your eligibility, do that and THEN start law school.