Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?  (Read 18089 times)

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »

ē What kind of summer vacations did you enjoy as a kid?

Bruce offers other tips. One of them: Go to networking events with the goal of helping other people, even if itís pointing them to the restroom or suggesting an online resource.

Pointing them to the bathroom? No offense, but I'm going with the goal to meet people.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »
If someone asked me about my favorite summer vacations as a kid, I would walk away.  Then again, I'm not exactly the most socially adept guy.

That's what I'm saying, these are stupid conversation starters. Better ones and ones I have used in the past:

What type of law do you practice? Follow up with: Iím not really familiar with that, but its sounds interesting, whatís the anatomy of a typical case, I mean how do you get them and how do the usually proceed? Then ask what is your favaiorte type of case that comes in and why? Least favorite? Or ask about favorite or least favorite law school classes (this gives you something in common to talk about) or favorite professors if alumina. Or what they think the best classes are for practical skills, or for their industry. What drew them to law school. Why did they pick that practice area. Where do the see the future of litigation (if a litigator). What skills should I hone as a students for transactional work. What they would do different in law school knowing what they know now. Ect. 

All these will get you started talking to a stranger then just carry the conversation forward. After the initial meeting follow up with an e-mail. Say you enjoyed talking with them and if you could buy them lunch next month and pick their brain again. Do that a few times and your formed a friendship/mentor relationship.

The hardest part is just geeting up the guts to go into a room of strangers and talk to people. If you can get past that part (and this is hard for me, I break out ina sweat) then everything else is gravy.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

ē What kind of summer vacations did you enjoy as a kid?

Bruce offers other tips. One of them: Go to networking events with the goal of helping other people, even if itís pointing them to the restroom or suggesting an online resource.

Pointing them to the bathroom? No offense, but I'm going with the goal to meet people.

Agreed, but I have used the suggesting an online resource in the past, espcially for blogs related to a pratice ara that the person is in. That's a good suggestion.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »
whayever, welcome to the new meaner Matthies. I say what I wanna say. Also I was pretty drunk when I wrote that, I should post drunl more often to get a rise out of all of you.

Lol, you're a strange guy.

Anyone can bash TTTs and get their students riled up. But Iím one of the few who can do it to the T14 and get all you guys to stop your bitter infighting between Mich, Vandy, CCN, and HYS. That takes talent. Only a true instigator can get you all to stop back bighting and fighting against a common enemy. I am the TTT bashing yang/yang, I take it to the streets man.   

Shameless Vandy and subtle Mich trolling.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »
13/16
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN