Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?  (Read 18166 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Is this sentence pretentious?  I need to start a paper in a way that doesn't blow.

"Proposition 8 teeters above a political abyss, and common sense tells us that irreconcilable views about the definition of marriage, equally cherished by their proponents, cannot co-exist."

I like it, assuming that's your arguemnt your going to follow with.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
Is this sentence pretentious?  I need to start a paper in a way that doesn't blow.

"Proposition 8 teeters above a political abyss, and common sense tells us that irreconcilable views about the definition of marriage, equally cherished by their proponents, cannot co-exist."

Why are you posting this in this thread?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
I agree with your edit, reez. Much less vicious.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
::makes mental note to stay on reez's good side::

LSN

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
Avoid being cruel to my friends, and you're good.

Ok. I would hate for to you ever have reason to release my friend count.

LSN

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
Dischord, please calm down.  Despite the worry, there are A LOT of people here who are doing worse than you callback-wise (especially those interviewing in your primary market, since it is slow).  Also, your thought that you are underqualified for one of your CB firms does not mean that you can definitively assume your CB is "fake."  I don't know which of your two you feel like a ton of people are getting interviews at, but I don't know many who have CBs at either of your firms.  Go charm them, etc. and see what happens.  Also, fwiw, I have gotten dings/haven't been called by a ton (most) of the firms I interviewed with, and many are lower Vault-ranked than those I have CBs with.  Vault is clearly not the be-all here.  CHILL, at least for now, while we are still waiting to see how things pan out.

Also, did you find out which journal you're on and not tell me?

Okay I feel better today, even though I got like a bajillion rejections from NOT necessarily lower ranked but still TTT places.  I just do not get OCI ITE.  I don't understand what these different places are looking for. 

I just do not like uncertainty.

And yeah, I'm on Con Law.

Stop thinking like this. Odds are more than once in your career your going to find yourself without a job. What are you going to do then when there is no “OCI” to save you? Give up on being a lawyer because you have to search for a job on your on? Its tough out there, no doubt, but there are ways to land decent jobs other than OCI. If OCI does not work then you turn to plan B, giving up is not even an option. You won’t have the choice to give up when you got a mortgage, family and other bills. Snap out of it, your smart and you can be successful even if OCI does not pan out.

I guess that even if this is not actually true, my gut reaction is that if these places are bothering to show up because they WANT students from my school and I can't get a job, then other places will be even HARDER to get a job with.

(I know this is not true).

I just really, really do not do well with uncertainty.  Also, like I said, I really got burned coming out of college.  I live in mortal fear of having to go back to work at Whole Foods because I have another degree but no work experience.
At least I can f-ing think.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »
There is massive uncertainty, but you're not alone in feeling it.  I distract myself by doing non-LS activities with non-LS people.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
Yeah that will be easier when the on-campus part of this whole process is over.  I don't really do much but interview and prepare to interview.
At least I can f-ing think.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »
I got like a bajillion rejections from NOT necessarily lower ranked but still TTT places.  I just do not get OCI ITE.  I don't understand what these different places are looking for.

Maybe your sense of entitlement and condescension to these "TTT" places came across in your interviews? Maybe they're looking for somebody who actually wants to be at the firm, and somebody who intends to be there long-term?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »
I got like a bajillion rejections from NOT necessarily lower ranked but still TTT places.  I just do not get OCI ITE.  I don't understand what these different places are looking for.

Maybe your sense of entitlement and condescension to these "TTT" places came across in your interviews? Maybe they're looking for somebody who actually wants to be at the firm, and somebody who intends to be there long-term?

Hey, hey. Enough with the common sense around here. Geez.