Law School Discussion

How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?

dischord

• View Profile
Re: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
I am going to have a very hard time doing this in any interviews given that I don't really understand what a security is.

I am going to fail OCI.

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 07:25:30 PM »
I am going to have a very hard time doing this in any interviews given that I don't really understand what a security is.

I am going to fail OCI.

you know.  stocks.  derivative suits.

you taking corps this term?

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 07:29:15 PM »

you taking corps this term?

No.

I'm taking Evidence, Crim Pro, Mental Health Law, and something else that's undecided.

TBF, the reason for this is I decided to wait til spring for the better profs for corps and tax.

Anyway, yeah, I don't know what a derivative suit is.  I only vaguely understand what a stock is . . . (you give a company money and then you own part of it and they send you checks in the mail?  Plus booklets about the company and the shareholders' meeting that I promptly throw away?)

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »
tell them that securities litigation really turns you on.

I sense a mocking tone and my inner finance nerd resents it.*

*It, not you, since you are, of course, the source of all life wisdom, as per usual.

my answer was completely serious.  they do a lot of that stuff.

Anyway, yeah, I don't know what a derivative suit is.  I only vaguely understand what a stock is . . . (you give a company money and then you own part of it and they send you checks in the mail?  Plus booklets about the company and the shareholders' meeting that I promptly throw away?)

derivative suits are suits by shareholders in which they're saying they're suing the directors/officers of the corporation on behalf of the corporation.

you don't need to know that right now though.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:49 PM »
Oh, yes, we touched on that in Civ Pro. 

Anyway, even if I don't NEED to know it I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing someone that I'm interested in securities lit if I don't.  I mean, what would be a plausible reason for anyone being interested in that?  I can't really think of any.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
Oh, yes, we touched on that in Civ Pro. 

Anyway, even if I don't NEED to know it I think I'm going to have a hard time convincing someone that I'm interested in securities lit if I don't.  I mean, what would be a plausible reason for anyone being interested in that?  I can't really think of any.

I didn't know the first thing about anything that large law firms do when I was doing interviews last year, and I did well. They really, really don't expect you to know what you're talking about. It's worse if you try to fake it than if you just say that you're opening to learning new things and trying out different practice areas. Maybe have some line about how you think you're interested in litigation (or transactional - whatever), but you would like to try (the other one) as well to see what it's like in practice. I would not waste your time trying to understand securities before a screening interview.

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I would not waste your time trying to understand securities before a screening interview.

nor did i mean to suggest that anyone should.

i was just saying...  you know, with that firm...  it would help if you could say that and it was the truth.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »
Yeah I think Goalie's advice is generally true but maybe not so much when you're dealing with branch offices with only a few practice areas?  I wouldn't necessarily characterize Wilmer Boston that way but I have another Boston interview tomorrow where the office only has 3 practice areas, one of which is IP.  I had to call a friend I know who works in that area to tell me something about it so I could be like, yes, I am interested in such and such and I'm not just some moron applying to your firm because it looks pretty.

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
Yeah I think Goalie's advice is generally true but maybe not so much when you're dealing with branch offices with only a few practice areas?  I wouldn't necessarily characterize Wilmer Boston that way but I have another Boston interview tomorrow where the office only has 3 practice areas, one of which is IP.  I had to call a friend I know who works in that area to tell me something about it so I could be like, yes, I am interested in such and such and I'm not just some moron applying to your firm because it looks pretty.

i had one of these moments during OCI.

oh yeah, and i was talking about WH dischordtown, so nm.

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
5 OCI, 1 callback so far (it's been less than a week).