Law School Discussion

How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?

Re: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »
I think I'll be able to avoid that.  But I don't know man, I feel like it's just going to feel odd.  Like I'm speed-dating or something.

it's business.  business is business.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »
Branch offices or head offices?  I think that's a consideration, personally (not that one's better than another but that people seem to have a preference one way or another).

But all else being equal (including firm prestige and health), though, I'd take your school's market both because it's a new place to live and because it's bigger if your home market is where I think it is.

Yeah . . . I'm pretty social so I guess it'll really just come down to how competitive the CB round is.  I'd be stupid not to take the place but I'm pretty sure I'd be miserable there, since it's one of the hellish places.  I had a great interview at a place today where I think QOL is a bit better.  But they've had longer deferrals.

Whatevs.  I'll cross this bridge when I actually have an offer in hand.  I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »
I think I'll be able to avoid that.  But I don't know man, I feel like it's just going to feel odd.  Like I'm speed-dating or something.

it's business.  business is business.

Right, it's a professional setting, and business is business, and so forth.  But a bunch of 23-to-26-year-olds is a bunch of 23-to-26-year-olds, too.  I'm just hoping somebody cracks a joke about it.

true.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:26 PM »
Well, I mean, this *&^% matters when scheduling callbacks.  And I do honestly feel a duty to try to reject places quickly so that other people can get offers.  Already I've been asked about callbacks by other transfers who told me got rejections from the same places and I feel awful.  I'm so cheesy . . . I genuinely want everyone to get jobs.

I think I might know at least a couple of the firms you're referring to.  Can't figure out the V30 because I don't really know your market that well.  

Anyway I've actually really liked the branch offices in Boston with whom I've interviewed.  The attorneys really talked up the small office environment and it really didn't seem as insane as I've heard the NY offices are.  But then again, they seem a little crazier that some of the other Boston firms.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
You'll probably feel more sure once the recruiting process is over?  I feel like this time is rife with uncertainty.

eat it

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »
Yes and no.  There's only one NYC callback that would entice, so yes in that respect.  But the hard choice will, in any event, be which city to live in.  I'm truly torn and undecided.  Everybody says 'go with your gut,' which to be fair I usually say, but there's no clear feeling.

I hate that.  People always use that dumb phrase "flip a coin and if you feel bad with the result do the other thing."  Yea, but what if you get that bad feeling from both results (as I did when picking schools)?

You picked the wrong school.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »
Um . . . do not move into the exurbs as a 20-something, please.  That's all I have to add in that regard.  I don't think you can go wrong with either of the other cities.  

In a way I feel like I'm at a disadvantage, but at the same time lucky, to have an SO's preferences guiding my job search.  I have a pretty clear first and second choice location.  I guess it would be hard if I got a much better firm in the second choice locale, but that's very unlikely based on the firms I applied to in each market.

eat it

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2009, 08:59:18 PM »
Yes and no.  There's only one NYC callback that would entice, so yes in that respect.  But the hard choice will, in any event, be which city to live in.  I'm truly torn and undecided.  Everybody says 'go with your gut,' which to be fair I usually say, but there's no clear feeling.

I hate that.  People always use that dumb phrase "flip a coin and if you feel bad with the result do the other thing."  Yea, but what if you get that bad feeling from both results (as I did when picking schools)?

You picked the wrong school.

Too early to call, but judging from the past few nights...

It's not too early.  I'm telling you, as I've told you before.  You picked the wrong school.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »
I'm still around, I just didn't really have anything to add to the Mich v. Penn debate.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:46 AM »
I am willing to go anywhere, for anyone, to do virtually anything ITE.  Denver, Anchorage, Banana City -- I'm geographically flexible.

sent u a pM