Law School Discussion

How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?

dischord

• View Profile
Re: How Many Call-Backs Have You Received?
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
I got like a bajillion rejections from NOT necessarily lower ranked but still TTT places.  I just do not get OCI ITE.  I don't understand what these different places are looking for.

Maybe your sense of entitlement and condescension to these "TTT" places came across in your interviews? Maybe they're looking for somebody who actually wants to be at the firm, and somebody who intends to be there long-term?

Oh for @#!*'s sake that is not what I meant and I dare say you know it and are just being incendiary.  

While a couple of these places weren't my first choice because of wariness of deferrals/layoffs/whatever, I did a ton of research before bidding and chose my bids based on niche practice area strengths.  My first choice firm is by no means uber prestigious, and I'd take it in a second over much higher ranked places.  Moreover, my interviews at these went seemingly well, thanks -- actually, I thought they were better than the ones where I've gotten callbacks.  I put a ton of time into prepping for these interviews because I wasn't sure how firms would react to transfers this year and I thought that these were the places where I had a legitimate shot.

Some firms have just traditionally been FAR less selective than others, and there are other firms that, in addition to always having been unselective, are in horrible economic trouble right now but are nevertheless extending a fair number of callbacks to people with similar credentials to mine.  Since I got reamed for using Vault as a loose proxy, what do YOU suggest I say to convey my surprise at getting across-the-board rejections from places that in a normal economy would take below median or even bottom third kids from MVP while getting callbacks from places that usually took kids with much better grades?  I know that this isn't as predictable as law school admissions but if you knew the firms and my numbers, I think you'd also think that it's a little bit off.  All I am trying to do here is describe my OCI results while giving as little identifying info about the firms as possible.

All that said, as much as I will be unfathomably grateful to get ANY job ITE, I think it's ridiculous to pretend that this has made all of these firms unique snowflakes who by just giving any of us a callback are performing an act of incredible condescension and graciousness.  

« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
Actually, I responded to precisely what I believe you meant. And almost prefaced it with something, like, "I know this is going to incite, but it's more constructive than anything else." I decided against it because I knew it'd be a losing battle to do anything more.

I don't think putting a lot of effort into research (hey, you want a job) excludes thinking you're too good for a firm. I interviewed with an insurance defense firm that, frankly, I thought I was too good for - moral superiority or something, even while believing everybody deserves adequate counsel. Yet, I still researched the firm like crazy because I wanted to be prepared because I wanted a job. I need to pay off these loans in 2 years, after all. Did I fool them? I'm not sure yet. They make callback decisions in late September (this was outside OCI). But I wouldn't be surprised if my admittedly bad attitude snuck through.

You'll probably deny that you share this same attitude w/r/t any of these firms. Perhaps so. But if I think it's plenty plausible that even a joking attitude ("still TTT places") has some root in reality. And this reality can come across.

Anyhow, if people with similar stats are getting callbacks, and you're not, something is up. Hopefully a little honesty will help you figure that out. Good luck with that and good luck with finding a job.

« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
Waaah. Somebody said something negative to one of your friends. Something is clearly up for her. The point is that perception can trump reality. Surprise, surprise.

Also, what makes "despite reportedly being a complete goober himself" ok for you to say? Is it that you separated personal judgment with "reportedly"? Or is this thread only a circle jerk and us vandy assholes didn't get the memo?

« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
Whatever it is, hopefully she gets it figured out soon. On that note, I did take her comments to mean that others were doing better than her that, all else equal (i.e. gpa, school), shouldn't have been. TTT to refer to, well, everything is definitely a pastime for me too. I'd hope you'd agree that, in the context of her post, it's not the same. I didn't have reason to, nor did I have to put much effort towards, my reading. Also, no sarcasm in my post at all. I might have had a lightish tone, but it wasn't sarcasm. Anyhow, rather than kicking her while she's down, let's just move on.

I don't doubt that you have your sources (I know both where you went to ugrad and where he went to 1L), but my point had less to do with him, and more to do with the relationship of the comment to the poster in both cases. Both were harsh comments. Yours based on other people, his based on Wally's online demeanor. Is it really that much different? Probably not, but then again I don't buy into this sharp distinction between online person and IRL person. Wally isn't much different on his facebook either, for better or worse. Maybe that falls on the online side. I don't know. Either way, vandy-transfer's comment is mild on the scale of wallyCommentsThatMakeYouGoWHA T.

In any case, despite what you may think from your comments re: vandy in this thread (which you couldn't totally believe if you're to be consistent with your comments re: wally online and IRL), I can assure you that we'll all give our new transfer a chance. If he made mistakes at W&L, hopefully he doesn't make them again at Vandy. I've only met him once. He was nice enough to come up to me and introduce himself. Hopefully he finds his place here. Life is tough as a transfer, I'm sure.

PS I just reread this and it's a bit...something. I don't even know the word. I have swine flu, so be nice.

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
ITT contra brevity

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2009, 06:03:14 AM »
You all a bunch of elitist entilted assholes. There I said it. Not like you did not know I would say that, but still its out there, ponder that. By the way it does seem like there is a sense of entitlement in this thread. Like the law firms should be interviewing at your schools should be hiring people from your schools, like that is their job or something. Like they OWE you that. Law firms having bigger things to worry about in this economy than finding you a job.

You should all be really grateful that a) firms are hiring at all, b) firms are coming to your schools to do it, c) relatively speaking its takes every little effort on your part to get in front of these people for an interview (compared to someone who does not have OCI).

Jesus Christ, get some prospective you all acting like these firms owe you an interview because you go to school X or Y. Get over yourselves and be glad youíre not fitghting it an some T4 for the 3 OCI slots they have open.  Iím sorry OCI is not resulting in all of you getting Cravath offers, but for crying out loud your all doing better than most law students. Things could be a lot worse you know than having 10 interviews in the worst economy in 60 years, like having NONE. Be gratefull for what you have instead of bitter about what you think you deserve.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
Thanks, reez.  I had no idea that "ttt" was such a polarizing term.  Jesus H., you'd think I'd busted out a racial slur or something by the way some people are reacting.

I'm about to get on a train so I'm not even going to bother addressing the elitism/entitlement point, because any sense of entitlement that's being imputed to my posts is entirely a result of either poor wording on my part or misinterpretation on others.  I'm extremely lucky to have transferred, and I'm EXTREMELY lucky to have come out of OCI as a transfer with as many CBs as I have (FTR, I have 5 now).  I never said I deserved *&^%, I'm pointing out what I think is odd about my interviewing experience and trying to figure out what it means.

ALL I am saying is that there are other transfers who got callbacks from firms I didn't, but who didn't get callbacks at places where I did.  There's some overlap in where we've gotten them.  In terms of raw numbers I'm doing better than most, so I don't think it's a problem with interviewing skills.  For all I know it could just be a fit thing (I know one transfer from my old school who's interviewing in our old school's market as well, and I've gotten CBs everywhere he's gotten dings and vice versa, which is also weird since he had better grades). 

Anyway, like I said, I just do not see what is objectionable about being surprised at getting swift rejections from places that are less selective than the places that are interested in me.  And the economy is PRECISELY why I'm surprised, because the more logical shift in recruitment patterns would be that everyone is looking for top 10% + LR (in which case I'd not have any callbacks at all), or that firms' criteria have adjusted upwards across the board (in which case I'd probably be striking out at the upper range and getting more stuff in the lower range of where I interviewed).  But instead, it just seems to be really random, and not just for me.

Oh, and Matthies, re networking, I'm taking advantage of people's connections to my old firm/colleagues like whoa.  I definitely think that having worked for people my interviewers knew played a role in at least a couple of my CBs. 

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
I was yelling buuurnns.   :-[

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
You all a bunch of elitist entilted assholes. There I said it. Not like you did not know I would say that, but still its out there, ponder that. By the way it does seem like there is a sense of entitlement in this thread. Like the law firms should be interviewing at your schools should be hiring people from your schools, like that is their job or something. Like they OWE you that. Law firms having bigger things to worry about in this economy than finding you a job.

You should all be really grateful that a) firms are hiring at all, b) firms are coming to your schools to do it, c) relatively speaking its takes every little effort on your part to get in front of these people for an interview (compared to someone who does not have OCI).

Jesus Christ, get some prospective you all acting like these firms owe you an interview because you go to school X or Y. Get over yourselves and be glad youíre not fitghting it an some T4 for the 3 OCI slots they have open.  Iím sorry OCI is not resulting in all of you getting Cravath offers, but for crying out loud your all doing better than most law students. Things could be a lot worse you know than having 10 interviews in the worst economy in 60 years, like having NONE. Be gratefull for what you have instead of bitter about what you think you deserve.

Do you even read these threads before you post, or do you just look at the thread title and copy and paste this same rant every time?  We get it man, 1) you don't like T14 elitists, 2) you are awesome tha got lots of job offers, even though they weren't handed to you. Why don't you just put those two things in your sig, then you won't have to make another 6000 posts saying the same exact thing.

To the 2Ls, don't worry about what this guy says, it seems like he's just looking for any opportunity to make another one of his self-congratulatory posts. The entitled/elitist BS in his rant is not at all the vibe I got from this thread. Good luck to you all.

Yes, I'm smater, better loking, nice and an all around better guy than you. And you know it. Yet your sense of sacrasm meter is broken dipshit.

If you canít see that this thread is just oozing with ďwhoa is me I only got X interviews, the sky is falling paranoiaĒ and someone needs to step in the slap some reality around to help folks relazie that as things go there still doing pretty good rather than wanting to quit school becuase X number of calls back then youíre too stuck on your high horse and need to come down here and play with me in the slop for awhile.

You want to personally attack me, thatís fine but Iíll cut you like a little female dog if you continue. Iíll put my body of work and advice I have given to posetrs T14 and T4 and everything in between on this forum up any day against your *&^%. So step the %^&* back or itís on.

<pulls knife with best westside story grimice>

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »
Oh and I just bought a Mac Book Pro, so I'm also more trendy than you.