Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are the chances???  (Read 2908 times)

Bis79

• View Profile
    • Email
What are the chances???
« on: August 21, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
Hello All,

I am currently finishing up my last year on a BS in Business Admin. I have a 3.88 GPA, but it is at the University of Phoenix. It is the only program that would allow me to finish an under grad degree in a reasonable amount of time while working 50+ hours a week. I have the resources to scale back on work if accepted to Law School, but I will be 30 this year. So what does everyone think? I know the school is less than stellar but I have kept a good GPA there, and I am confident that I could score decent on the LSAT. How much will my School and Age count against me? Thanks for the help.

AndrewStebbins

• I like that Rice Krispies thing! Crackle and pop!
    • View Profile
Re: What are the chances???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
Hello All,

I am currently finishing up my last year on a BS in Business Admin. I have a 3.88 GPA, but it is at the University of Phoenix. It is the only program that would allow me to finish an under grad degree in a reasonable amount of time while working 50+ hours a week. I have the resources to scale back on work if accepted to Law School, but I will be 30 this year. So what does everyone think? I know the school is less than stellar but I have kept a good GPA there, and I am confident that I could score decent on the LSAT. How much will my School and Age count against me? Thanks for the help.

Hi Bis79...Your age won't count against you.  Hard to say anything without an LSAT score.  That's more important than a GPA...whether it's from Princeton or U. of Phoenix.  Well, for the most part.  Confidence is good but have you take any practices yet?  Most people score lower than their worst test.  That should tell you something.  Hope I helped.
צדק צדק תרדף

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
According to this info http://phoenixlawweb.com/uofpstats.aspx almost 60% of students from University of Phoenix (at least those applying to law schools through LSAC) have a 3.6 GPA or higher.  I think your LSAT score is going to be all the more important because of this.
Are you applying to a part time program at a school near where you live now?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »
Your school isn't going to do you any favors, but it's not unheard of for UoP people to get into respectable enough schools. At least your GPA makes you look really good.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Bis79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I plan to apply for full time at a schoold near where I live now (Southern California) there seems to be a few quality schools in the area, UCLA and USC, and UC Irvine just started their law program. Thanks, especially for the University of Phoenix link on the LSDAS web site. I will definately invest in a prep course for the exam. Any thoughts on a specific law schoold being better than another? The stats seem pretty consistent between USC and UCLA. Thanks again to all of you.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I plan to apply for full time at a schoold near where I live now (Southern California) there seems to be a few quality schools in the area, UCLA and USC, and UC Irvine just started their law program. Thanks, especially for the University of Phoenix link on the LSDAS web site. I will definately invest in a prep course for the exam. Any thoughts on a specific law schoold being better than another? The stats seem pretty consistent between USC and UCLA. Thanks again to all of you.

My advice, given the schools you're looking at, is to get your LSAT on the board first. I've seen more than a few people aim for UCLA and USC and end up getting scores that pretty much locked them out of both, but not until they advertised to everyone that they were going to UCLA or USC.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

JDWannaBeNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »
Just wanted to ditto on the age thing!  I'm 30 too!!  Scary heading in a totally different direction at this age... but kind of exciting as well.

Lizz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
I am looking into law school for a little more non-traditional law type, or something I dont see many people do and that is something along the lines of animal law. Are there specific programs that may aim towards something like that? maybe environmental law?
Arthritis

Jorden

• View Profile
    • My Favorite Resource
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
I agree with Ninja. I think you need to get those LSATS up. I know many people who shot for UCLA and didn't get in due to those LSAT scores even though their GPA looked good. Don't let your age hold you back from your dreams!
Want to learn more for FREE? Go over to http://www.lawiki.org FINALLY a wiki site just for law students! I LOVE IT!

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
LSAC has a neat tool for estimating one's chances of getting admitted to a particular school.  It's at http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx

Regarding your age:  If 30 is "old," then I'm ancient.  ;)