Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is going on?  (Read 4655 times)

skinsfan123

• View Profile
What is going on?
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
I am in the top 5% at one of the top schools in the D.C. metro area, and I have been unable to land an interview at any firm (I've applied to over 40). I am on law review, have decent participation in activities and bring with me over 2 years of legislative and legal experience. I have looked over my resume, cover letter, etc. and there aren't any noticeable errors. This summer, instead of doing an internship, I studied abroad. I think that's probably a lot of the reason why I am not getting any interviews. Does any one have any input or recommendations on how to deal with this situation? I guess I just thought being in the top 5%, things would be different.

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
Rejections or just no callbacks?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
It isn't the study abroad that's hurting you, though doing it probably wasn't the best idea in the world. In a normal economy, top 5% + LR at American would land you something, but right now things are very dicey. If you are applying to only DC firms, my advice would be to look elsewhere, and not get hung up on firm prestige. If you are from outside the DC, apply to firms in your home state/region.

Illini, OCI at schools like American is strictly pre-screened. They don't have a lottery system like most of the t14. I think he means he is unable to get even a screening.

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:17:39 PM »
That's right, I didn't think of that. I guess I should ask- have they rejected you for interviews, or just not responded? Things are getting pushed back, so you may still get interviews with a few of those firms.

I wouldn't freak out yet, but I would try another market or two if you've limited yourself.

Alchemy Prep

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »
The market is going to be extraordinarily brutal this year.  Hang in there, reach out to any/all contacts and push a little harder to make inroads from non-traditional angles.  Many firms have cancelled summe rprograms but with your grades it will be worth mailing recruiters at the firms directly and pointing out your success. 

People will see your outstanding work and I truly believe something will fall into place. Just don't rely solely on the OCI process to get into the firm setting.

Best,

Kris
Edited to remove spam- nealric

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »
Welcome to The Economy of 2009.

Cast the net wide- far wider than 40 firms.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »
Your election to study abroad this summer instead of going out and getting real-world experience was, quite frankly, a big mistake. The firms don't know whether you can apply your academic acumen to real-world problems, at precisely the moment when clients are asking tough questions about subsidizing the cost of the associate learning curve. You need to sign up for a clinic or get a local part-time job as soon as possible. Do not think that your prior work experience gives you a leg to stand on. I also worked in firms before coming to law school, but the interviewers I've met with thus far have shown much greater interest in my summer employment than in the work I did before, probably because there's an enormous difference in the types of work-related problems you handle before law school, and the ones you get once you understand how lawyers actually think.

You also need to apply to more firms. Many more. I know folks up here with solid credentials who have sent over 300 unsolicited resumes and received next to nothing in the way of a response. They have now shifted their focus from cities like New York to cities like Rochester. If you don't swallow your pride soon there won't be anything left.
Cornell 2011

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Market blows, man.

Angry Gorilla

• I'm Angry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »
OP, which George_______ are you at?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
OP, which George_______ are you at?

If he's completely striking out I doubt he's at GW or GULC.  Likely Mason or American or Catholic.

Send out hundreds of resumes, literally....  That's what it will take ITE.