Law School Discussion

Off my rocker?

Off my rocker?
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
Hello.  I just registered and this seemed like the most logical place to post my query.  I am 41 years old.  I didnít get serious about finishing my bachelorís degree until very late in life.  I am about six months from a BS in Business Management.  Upon taking classes in Business Law and Employment Law as part of that degree, I realized a fascination and a natural inclination to law that I really wish I had discovered much earlier in life. 

At the age of 41, I am wondering if going after a JD is even a good idea at this point.  Based on reading some of the posts at this site I am highly discouraged.  My GPA is only about 3.0.  I am wondering how much my age and my GPA work against me.  Also, is a degree in Business Management even appropriate?  Getting a JD is something I would truly love to do, and Iím not expecting a stellar legal career at this point in my life, but I wonder if this is a reasonable goal at this juncture in my life. 

I wouldnít mind some honest, no-nonsense input here.  Am I better off just continuing on to my MBA?  I can get that in a year and a half.  Am I pipe-dreaming?  Or is it something I should go for?  Thanks in advance. 

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Off my rocker?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
I went to law school part-time in the evenings, the average age of my clasmates was about 39, we even had one who was 70. Never too late to go to law school.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
Hello.  I just registered and this seemed like the most logical place to post my query.  I am 41 years old.  I didnít get serious about finishing my bachelorís degree until very late in life.  I am about six months from a BS in Business Management.  Upon taking classes in Business Law and Employment Law as part of that degree, I realized a fascination and a natural inclination to law that I really wish I had discovered much earlier in life. 

At the age of 41, I am wondering if going after a JD is even a good idea at this point.  Based on reading some of the posts at this site I am highly discouraged.  My GPA is only about 3.0.  I am wondering how much my age and my GPA work against me.  Also, is a degree in Business Management even appropriate?  Getting a JD is something I would truly love to do, and Iím not expecting a stellar legal career at this point in my life, but I wonder if this is a reasonable goal at this juncture in my life. 

I wouldnít mind some honest, no-nonsense input here.  Am I better off just continuing on to my MBA?  I can get that in a year and a half.  Am I pipe-dreaming?  Or is it something I should go for?  Thanks in advance. 

What are your goals? It's not unreasonable to go for your law degree just for the sake of having it, if that's what you really want. It's probably a bit unreasonable to expect a biglaw career, though maybe not absolutely impossible. Anything in between depends on the specifics.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:48:57 PM »
Forget biglaw....trial law is the way to go. Not that I'm biased or anything... ::)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »

What are your goals? It's not unreasonable to go for your law degree just for the sake of having it, if that's what you really want. It's probably a bit unreasonable to expect a biglaw career, though maybe not absolutely impossible. Anything in between depends on the specifics.

if you have the moxie to go out and get a law degree...just to have it...more power to ya...aye look at mine like a trophy wife...life is wonderful... 8)

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
oh, you unemployed.  knew it.

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »
Want to know how I know LSD is dying?  In the good ol' days, this thread would've sprouted 20 pages of flames and in-jokes.  Sigh...

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 04:44:11 AM »
yeah.  now we just got blueidiot.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
It's definitely not too late to get a JD, especially if it's something you would truly enjoy doing. On the other hand, if you are only 1.5 years away from an MBA that is the option I would choose if I were you. An MBA can open up many doors for you, especially if you have a background in business. But ultimately, life is about doing what you love (or trying to.) So if you really think you'd be much happier with a JD instead of an MBA then go for the JD. If it's not a big difference to you I'd say go for the MBA.

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
Sophisticated
Spammer offers no insight
Do what you will do