Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how difficult is it to lateral transfer as an associate?  (Read 4150 times)

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
how difficult is it to lateral transfer as an associate?
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »
let's say you end up graduating from an HYSCC with latin honors, but summered and spent your first post-grad year or two working at a mid-sized law firm, then clerk for a year or two... is it somewhat easier to get a V10 than if you tried getting one of those as a mediocre-GPA'ed 1L?  (clearly i am talking about a hypothetical "friend" of mine.)
seeing king midas everywhere.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how difficult is it to lateral transfer as an associate?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
can anyone recommend a better forum to post this in?  i guess this question's more tailored for practicing lawyers rather than current law students.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »
It depends on the mid-sized firm and the clerkship is (and of course the economy).

Insurance defense firm ---> state court trial clerkship = They won't be interested
Elite boutique firm ---> Fed Cir. Clerkship = They will likely be interested
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:50 PM »
let's say you end up graduating from an HYSCC with latin honors, but summered and spent your first post-grad year or two working at a mid-sized law firm, then clerk for a year or two... is it somewhat easier to get a V10 than if you tried getting one of those as a mediocre-GPA'ed 1L?  (clearly i am talking about a hypothetical "friend" of mine.)

what would be the point of moving into the V10 after all that?  ???

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »

This scenario doesn't make any sense. Typically you clerk right out of school, if at all, and it is looked on as favorable because you just saved X biglaw firm a ton of money in training and learned a shitton on your own. Then, typically after a couple years of biglaw people move to smaller/midsize firms or government (basically just do biglaw because working a prestigious firm had great exit options. It really makes no sense to go to a mid-size firm, then clerk, and then go to biglaw.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »

Not sure I understand the question.

You graduate from a good law school, you then work for a "mid-sized" firm, then from there you clerk, and then from there you want to go to a V-10 law firm after the clerkship?

I guess my first question would be what do you mean by "mid-sized?"

My second question would be where did you clerk?

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
by mid-sized i mean a V100 firm that is on the relatively "smaller" scale (vs. V10 firms).  Clerkship in a federal district court in a major city. 

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »
It should be very possible, but it will probably depend a lot on your department and the particular expertise you have acquired.

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »

This scenario doesn't make any sense. Typically you clerk right out of school, if at all, and it is looked on as favorable because you just saved X biglaw firm a ton of money in training and learned a shitton on your own. Then, typically after a couple years of biglaw people move to smaller/midsize firms or government (basically just do biglaw because working a prestigious firm had great exit options. It really makes no sense to go to a mid-size firm, then clerk, and then go to biglaw.

This.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
i agree with the above except for the "typically you clerk right out of school, if at all" bit, which i think is actually incorrect.  but generally people are transitioning out of the top firms, not into them.