Law School Discussion

how difficult is it to lateral transfer as an associate?

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: how difficult is it to lateral transfer as an associate?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
What you mean after a ďfew yearsĒ if you talking about after five years of practice its going to come down to do you have portable clients to bring with = YES then likely interested, if = NO, youíre just another mouth to feed. At five years the shine is kind of off your clerkship or anything else that does not equal ďwhat can you produce for the firm.Ē If you have earning potential you will be looked at, if not your not brining anything they donít already have.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »
i'm skeptical as to V10 firms expecting mid-level associates to bring clients with them when they lateral.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 08:37:24 AM »
i'm skeptical as to V10 firms expecting mid-level associates to bring clients with them when they lateral.

Just out of curiosity how do you think law firms get business, keep associates staff with work? I mean they donít have advertising departments, accounts managers, sales staff, or sell a product on store shelves who do you think does that at a law firm? I think people think law firms are like corporations you go in your office, write your memos and someone other department keeps business rolling in. Wrong its lawyers that do all that as well as legal work. Someone has to create the business to pay the salaries of those that donít. Law is as much sales as it is law.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »

Just out of curiosity how do you think law firms get business, keep associates staff with work? I mean they donít have advertising departments, accounts managers, sales staff, or sell a product on store shelves who do you think does that at a law firm? I think people think law firms are like corporations you go in your office, write your memos and someone other department keeps business rolling in. Wrong its lawyers that do all that as well as legal work. Someone has to create the business to pay the salaries of those that donít. Law is as much sales as it is law.

clearly, you haven't seen the magazine ads for bingham or jones day.

more to the point, nothing you just said conflicts with anything i said about expectations of mid-level associate laterals.  though i'll concede that they'd probably be happy if you to have some useful contacts with clients that could turn into business in the long run.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »

clearly, you haven't seen the magazine ads for bingham or jones day.

more to the point, nothing you just said conflicts with anything i said about expectations of mid-level associate laterals.  though i'll concede that they'd probably be happy if you to have some useful contacts with clients that could turn into business in the long run.

Well year five your closer to partner that not ( Iw ould consider mid level 3.5 on a 7 yer plan to P, not 5 years), what does a year 5 assc. with nothing but experince in a mid law firm/clerking have to offer a vault 10? I.e if you got no book why bring you in?

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »
Well year five your closer to partner that not ( Iw ould consider mid level 3.5 on a 7 yer plan to P, not 5 years), what does a year 5 assc. with nothing but experince in a mid law firm/clerking have to offer a vault 10? I.e if you got no book why bring you in?

the same thing that 5th years already at the firm have to offer the firm: ability to work on the business brought in by the partners and the potential to become a partner who actually brings in business in the long run.

the clients at the very top firms are probably not going to move a significant amount of their business from one firm to another because a fifth year that they happen to like is making a lateral move.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »

the same thing that 5th years already at the firm have to offer the firm: ability to work on the business brought in by the partners and the potential to become a partner who actually brings in business in the long run.

My point, then wny hire a 5th year from the outside with nothing to offer you don't already have? I mean what are you bringing to the firm to make them want to lateral you and be convinced that in 2 years you will magically be able to create biz and be a partner? I just don't see any benfit to the firm here, yes to the person who wants to get hired, but not to the firm. remeber OP is not talking leteral here.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
My point, then wny hire a 5th year from the outside with nothing to offer you don't already have?

one more associate who shows the ability to perform at a high level at the time of the lateral and the potential to bring in business in the long run.

just because you have some already doesn't mean that you don't want more.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
My point, then wny hire a 5th year from the outside with nothing to offer you don't already have?

one more associate who shows the ability to perform at a high level at the time of the lateral and the potential to bring in business in the long run.

or maybe you can't keep the ones you have

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »

or maybe you can't keep the ones you have

either way, it doesn't necessarily mean the lateral has to bring business with them.