Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I roll with the LSAT score I have or retake the biznatch  (Read 1869 times)

miggity

• View Profile
deleted

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I roll with the LSAT score I have or retake the biznatch
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »
Your background won't make up for the low LSAT. Schools are fixated on the LSAT score and care much less about the other stuff than you think. If you want to score higher, prepare better for the next test. It's not unusual for people to score five or more points lower on the real thing vs. practice exams. The 2005 test absence doesn't mean anything as far as admissions goes.

miggity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
deleted

Alchemy Prep

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:47:43 PM »
I agree with the posters above.  While many students do see a three or four point difference between their average test scores in practice and on the real deal, a 152 will make it very difficult for you. It seems, by default, that taking the test again is a wise decision.

Given the current market, it has never been more important to go the law school that opens the most doors.  A higher LSAT score will help, and I encourage you to retake the test even if it means pushing school back a year.  Additionally, the legal job market will have had more time to recover by that time.

Best,

Kris
www.alchemyprep.com

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »
Its not unusual for folks to score a bit lower on the real thing, especially if timing isn't quite as strict on the practices or if they don't deal super well with the extra stress.  If you got your practices up in the mid-upper 160's or better I'd say its worth re-taking, but at this point probably best to just roll with it.

Depending on your career plans, you might also be just as well off doing the CPA thing as the lawyer thing with the current state of the legal market. Just something to think about.

good luck!
HLS 2010

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:18:07 PM »
Depending on where you are from and what schools you are looking at, the difference between a 152 and a 157 could mean a lot. The 157 might get you into a somewhat decent state school with lower tuition, while the 152 almost assuredly means a private school with sky high tuition.

I also agree that sticking with your CPA career might be a better idea than going to law school. Especially if you would be taking out big loans to go to law school. If you really want to be a lawyer, my best advice would be to wait a few years for the dust to settle from the bad economy then weigh your options and decide whether law school would be worth it for you.

ddddyyyy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »
Banned for spam.

-Nealric