Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can a single mom make it?  (Read 5867 times)

SinglemomtoCJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Can a single mom make it?
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:52:34 PM »
I am 42 and always dreamed of going to law school.  I am a single parent to a 4 year old that will be 5 when I start.  How hard is it to be a single parent and go to law school full time?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Can a single mom make it?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »
Law school is hard without kids, and if you go you will be sacrificing a lot of precious time during those tender years.  Think 40 or 50 years into the future when you're lying on your death bed--which choice will you regret least?

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
Law school is hard without kids, and if you go you will be sacrificing a lot of precious time during those tender years.  Think 40 or 50 years into the future when you're lying on your death bed--which choice will you regret least?

::) ::) ::)

Been a single parent much, Earl? 

OP, yes, you can do it, though it may be tough.  My youngest is seven, and I started LS today at age 45.  You just have to be super-organized.  Treat LS like a full-time job and you should be fine. 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

myrrheejazz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
You can do it.  Single moms are stronger than they realize.  It all depends on how you plan to pursue law school.  You don't have to spend ridiculous hours to get good grades and land a decent job.  You'll be fine as long as you have a healthy school/life balance.  I have children, and I've decided to just go for it.  Once I get home from law school, that's my family's time, no law school work after a certain time until the children are off to bed.  I plan to treat law school like a 9-5 job.  The weekends are for my family.  What gets done gets done, what doesn't get done, will have to wait until the next day.  Balance is key!  It makes no sense to have regrets on your death bed.  If law school is what you want, then go for it.  Jobs after law school are dependent on your ability to network.  Grades do matter, but you also have to have a strong network, otherwise, you'll be one of the many jobless lawyers in the world.  At the end of the day, make sure that a legal career is what you want, and that law school is what you are willing to commit to.  Worse case scenario, consider going part time during the day.  There are law schools that offer this as an option, and the reduction in course load might help you with striking the school/life balance that you need to make in law school, while also giving your child the time and attention he/she needs.

Good Luck!

Mitchell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »

::) ::) ::)

Been a single parent much, Earl? 

OP, yes, you can do it, though it may be tough.  My youngest is seven, and I started LS today at age 45.  You just have to be super-organized.  Treat LS like a full-time job and you should be fine. 

EarlCat plainly doesn't know anything about law school.  But I'm glad someone like you with such a vast wealth of experience is here to give advice. 
Mmmmmmmitchell

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
I'm a second year associate. I graduated over 3 years ago.

I personally knew a single Mom who did just fine. She has a Child with Autism and took excellent care of him. She now runs a legal special needs clinic at our law school.

I admire her immensely. She put her child first always and still did well in school. She did take another semester to graduate, but she did it and did it well.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

CaseyGPB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Yes I definitely think you can do it!  The woman who actually gave me the idea of going to law school was a single mom with three children while she was going to school. She also did the joint degree program to get her MBA. I really look up to her, because I think that was amazing!

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
You can do it.  Single moms are stronger than they realize.

We need to get rid of thie myth of the strong, sufficient single mother. Many single moms are weaker and more dissolute than they can ever realize or admit. That being said, I think the OP should do it if she can. In no way do I think being a career woman or a mother is mutally exclusive.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »
I am 42 and always dreamed of going to law school.  I am a single parent to a 4 year old that will be 5 when I start.  How hard is it to be a single parent and go to law school full time?

I am a little puzzled...42 and a 4 year old...that means you had her at 38? 

Why didn't you go to law school in the roughly 20 years between undergrad and her birth?

Also, are you planning on going solo straight out of law school?  Because I have read more than once on other sites that companies have an age bias, whether it's legal or not.  You and someone half your age with the same lack of experience go up for the same job, they are going to get it.

5 years old is school age.  That's old enough for you to start law school.  By the time you are done she will be 7 or so.

I just hope you are looking at the career options carefully for when you are done.  (I just don't want to see any single parents feeling burned and even depressed when it's over like i see on the web with some of these single LS grads...because there are children involved.)

llianehunter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »
Im a single mom although i am 24 and being a mother motivates even more to accomplish my goals. thats the kind of example i want to make. i have a very loving family and strong support system so my daughter will always recieve the love and support she needs from me and my family. i say go after your dreams no matter your situation. good luck to you!