Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Average number of OCI interviews?  (Read 2758 times)

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Average number of OCI interviews?
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
What's the average number of interviews you're likely to get at OCI at most law schools?  T14?

Top 5% at T14, secondary journal, made a bit of an error in focusing my bidding on (mostly) very competitive firms and I only have 10 interviews.  Most of those are "reach" firms for ANYONE.  A couple firms that would traditionally be considered "safety," but I think that is an oxymoron ITE. 

How destroyed am I? 
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: Average number of OCI interviews?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:22:21 PM »
Hard to say.

Just make sure you hit all the hospitality suites and chat people up and drop off you resume.   If you can try to get a screening interview while you are at it.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
I don't think there is an "average" per se. I know people who got 10,12,15 screenings and other who had well over 20 from a lottery OCI at a T14. It really depends on what firms you bid on and what market.

Top 5% at a t14 is quite an accomplishment...you should be able to find a big firm SA position somewhere. Try some direct writes in addition to dropping off resumes.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »
Yes, but I've been reading too much autoadmit so I'm starting to think that top 5% at my T14 (lower end of T14) means out of luck in this economy.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »
Yes, but I've been reading too much autoadmit so I'm starting to think that top 5% at my T14 (lower end of T14) means out of luck in this economy.

I think your biggest problem is that you are taking anyone on xoxo seriously. Top 5% at a t14 is far from out of luck in this economy. Students at top schools are definitely taking a big hit, and people at the median or below it are not likely going to get offers like they would have last year. But my prediction is that top of the class (top 10% or so) will have many choices and top 25% will receive offers but from lower ranking firms on vault, and also not as nearly as many offers as they might have in a better economy (e.g. top 25% might get 1-2 offers, whereas top 10% might get 7 or -8-).

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
I think I did a total of 27 interviews, that was really too many. I'd suggest between 15 and 20 as a more typical and wise number, but the number shouldn't be the main focus.  By now you should have some sort of connections with some people at some firms. You should know enough about the firms that they are starting to look different and hopefully a few stand out as a particularly good match for you.

Also, just fyi some schools have screening where firms can more or less chose with whom they wanna interview.  I think this prevents firms and students from wasting eachothers time (i.e. there's no point in making a high end firm interview with a low-end student). Some schools don't do this and its a pure lottery.  Mine is in the latter group.  The very worst student could pref the very most competitive firm first and would almost certainly end up interviewing with them. 

All this to say, if your "reach" interviews are of the former type where the firm could have excluded you if they chose, then perhaps they aren't such a reach.  If your school takes the latter approach, its possible that the reach firms are huge reaches and you may want to hedge a bit.

good luck. 
HLS 2010

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
I think I did a total of 27 interviews, that was really too many. I'd suggest between 15 and 20 as a more typical and wise number, but the number shouldn't be the main focus.  By now you should have some sort of connections with some people at some firms. You should know enough about the firms that they are starting to look different and hopefully a few stand out as a particularly good match for you.

Dude you go to HLS, which is probably one of two or possibly three schools (not sure where Stanford sits) in the country that aren't going to hurt this year in terms of employment. For the rest of us, there isn't nearly as many options and people sure as hell can't pick where they want to work (i.e. what would be a "good match"). Most of us are lucky to find a biglaw job anywhere, regardless of how much it sucks.

Additionally, you are HLS class of 2010. Last year was a much, much better year everywhere then this year. You job options last year were just about as good as they could have been ("just about" because it wasn't 2007).