Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is waiting to take the LSAT killing anyone else?  (Read 1461 times)

cheesefist

• View Profile
Is waiting to take the LSAT killing anyone else?
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:13:14 AM »
We all know our GPAs or can at least make very educated guesses about them.  But none of us is exactly certain what our LSAT will be.  Of course, this is a huge factor, even bigger than GPA. 

I find the suspense to be a killer.  Sometimes I want to take the test next month without any prep, just to get it over with, good or bad, so I will KNOW!  :D....  Obviously, I won't, but I am posting to see if anyone else feels the same way.  As I take practice tests I find myself wondering if anyone else hates the suspense as much as me.

CheeseFist
Anonymous and sarcastic response to an essay on why you should not go to Law School:

"Children, do not be astronauts since most don't go to space.
Do not strive to excel since that path has been well trodden."

angioletto

• View Profile
Re: Is waiting to take the LSAT killing anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
I hate the suspense too. I am ready to get test anticipation behind me and move onto acceptance letter anticipation.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »
Just wait until you're actually applying to schools. Winter break is basically the nightmare that will never end. :)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:17 AM »
Buzzkill.

NickMc

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - svencub
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
I've been considering law school for sometime but never thought ti was very feasible until I made the decision to apply for Fall 2010.  That gives me one year to prepare.  I started preparing for the LSAT August 2 and I am planning to take it September 26.  From what I am reading, this seems like a small amount of time to prepare but I just want to take it tomorrow if I could.  I don't take anticipation well on life changing events.

And once I have that taken, I don't know if I can take the anticipation for admission decisions.

I plan to have my app completed and in by November 09.  Do schools usually wait to make decisions until after the admission deadline or do they make them on a rolling schedule?
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence” - John Adams

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »
Rolling admissions.  Some schools start sending out decisions as early as late October.  Duke sends out some decisions in September.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
I've been considering law school for sometime but never thought ti was very feasible until I made the decision to apply for Fall 2010.  That gives me one year to prepare.  I started preparing for the LSAT August 2 and I am planning to take it September 26.  From what I am reading, this seems like a small amount of time to prepare but I just want to take it tomorrow if I could.  I don't take anticipation well on life changing events.

And once I have that taken, I don't know if I can take the anticipation for admission decisions.

I plan to have my app completed and in by November 09.  Do schools usually wait to make decisions until after the admission deadline or do they make them on a rolling schedule?

You don't want to just wake up and go take the LSAT.  It will be a big factor in determining where you get in, so take the time to prepare.  Are you taking a class?  That can be important if you're not otherwise likely to put in a decent amount of prep time on your own.  Definitely go through a study guide as much as you possibly can, do all the problems, and take as many practice exams as you can.  Waiting out 1 month is nothing compared to what you'll be facing if you bomb the LSAT.  Try to learn to live with anticipation.  The Application process and final exams (once your in) are way more difficult than this.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »
I plan to have my app completed and in by November 09.

Don't wait this long.  You're taking the September tests, which means your score should be in by mid October.  Take one day off after the test to relax, then IMMEDIATELY start filling out your applications on LSDAS so that you can send them as soon as the LSAT score comes out.  (You can actually send them earlier, but your file won't go "complete" until the score comes out).  Do NOT wait until November to send your stuff.  There is no upside to that.

NickMc

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - svencub
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »

Don't wait this long.  You're taking the September tests, which means your score should be in by mid October.  Take one day off after the test to relax, then IMMEDIATELY start filling out your applications on LSDAS so that you can send them as soon as the LSAT score comes out.  (You can actually send them earlier, but your file won't go "complete" until the score comes out).  Do NOT wait until November to send your stuff.  There is no upside to that.

Oh, I completely hear what you're saying.  The reason i said November is because I figure I will have to wait a few weeks before the score will be posted.  Sept 26 plus 4 weeks is pretty much November.  I want it in ASAP so I will have early consideration.

I'm really excited and when I get excited I want results now.  I've been spending each night studying for the passed few weeks and have taken test after practice test.  I'm optimistic but cautious not to get complacent.
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence” - John Adams

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »

I concur.  I waited way too long to get my applications in and got waitlisted at the schools I really wanted.  Then, since applications were apparently way up last year (probably because of the economy), I was passed on.  I got into my safety school, but I'm planning on working my butt off this first year and transferring up to a better school.