Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Debunking the Mystique of Top 20 Law Schools  (Read 6171 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Debunking the Mystique of Top 20 Law Schools
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »
I once knew a girl who was so wrapped up in elitism and rankings she got into NYU, Columbia, Stanford and Harvard, but got dinged at Yale and based on that 1 ding decided not to go to law school at all.

No, I'm not kidding.

Your joking, please say your joking. What would she have done when she did not get a Cravath offer, jumped off a bridge. Geeze
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
I once knew a girl who was so wrapped up in elitism and rankings she got into NYU, Columbia, Stanford and Harvard, but got dinged at Yale and based on that 1 ding decided not to go to law school at all.

No, I'm not kidding.

She is too smart to be that goddamned stupid. Certainly there was someone in her life who could talk some sense to her. Or slap the *&^% out of her.

It was a little frustrating being around her, to say the least.  You just had to shake your head and keep it moving.  To this day, that's probably one of the worst cases of somebody suffering from elitism that I've witnessed personally.

- Side note: isn't it amazing how somebody can be that book smart yet not have the common sense of a grade schooler?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »

No, I'm not kidding.

She is too smart to be that goddamned stupid. Certainly there was someone in her life who could talk some sense to her. Or slap the poo out of her.

It was a little frustrating being around her, to say the least.  You just had to shake your head and keep it moving.  To this day, that's probably one of the worst cases of somebody suffering from elitism that I've witnessed personally.

- Side note: isn't it amazing how somebody can be that book smart yet not have the common sense of a grade schooler?

Law school message baords have proven to me that this is far more common that I ever thought possible
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
I don’t get this whole prestige thing and how bad its gotten. Granted I’m a decade older than most of these folks, but in my generation everyone wanted to the boss, not the employee, no matter how presiguis the employee position was. The idea of making it was owning your own company. You were judged solely on what you did personally, not on the name of the school you went to.

Nobody from my generation would have though anyone was better than anyone else for the degree name, they would be like “what did you do to get the schools rep, nothing, your just riding coattails of some else’s sucess.” Now its like people are very happy to be a worker bee for someone else who has done all the work to be prestigious. There just seems to be a complete lack of entrapuanural sprit with kids today. Reminds of that commercial where the kid says his goal in life is “to claw his way up to middle management.”

People seem very cotenant with thinking they should just be giving the merits of success without taking any of the risks to get there on their own.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »

No, I'm not kidding.

She is too smart to be that goddamned stupid. Certainly there was someone in her life who could talk some sense to her. Or slap the poo out of her.

Law school message baords have proven to me that this is far more common that I ever thought possible

Somebody should do a study.  

B/c I've run across some folks (like the aforementioned) who literally do not know basic every day, how-the-f#ck-do-you-not-know-that knowledge like what state is immediately west of and visible from NYC, or how many justices there are on the Supreme Court or how many buroughs there are in NYC or, my personal favorite, how many branches of government there are (I am not kidding) but yet can knock out a 170-something LSAT score, go on to [insert top-14 law school here] and end up becoming heralded as the "cream of the crop" of the legal profession.  ???

Life is funny sometimes.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
There just seems to be a complete lack of entrapuanural sprit with kids today.

:D :D :D

I'm laughing with ya, although I'm sure this observation is akin to a couple of old geezers talking about the good old days and how kids today got no spunk.

One thing's for sure, it sure makes it easy for those cats like David Flom and crew to just sit back and let the talent come to them vs. the other way around.
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 07:05:29 AM »

No, I'm not kidding.

Lol do we know the same girl?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 07:09:26 AM »
how many buroughs there are in NYC

Hey now!  I always forget that one...5 or 7?  Don't ask me to name them.

(OK, I probably can now, but I couldn't 2 years ago...Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island?  So I guess there are 5?)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »
Guys at my high school used to start their own V100 law firms in between walking 10 miles uphill in the snow to school and making their own quill pens.

In the parlance of a certain infamous ATL poster, "it was no big deal."

;)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

No, I'm not kidding.

Lol do we know the same girl?

More than likely.  Didn't want to out the lady tho but had to talk about it.
Charles H. Houston