Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Debunking the Mystique of Top 20 Law Schools  (Read 5754 times)

vansondon

Debunking the Mystique of Top 20 Law Schools
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »
So I came across this article: http://www.diverseattorney.org/pdf/Debunking%20the%20Mystique%20of%20Top%2020%20Law%20Schools.pdf

And immediately, I said yes!!!  Finally, something that vindicates my tirade about the elitism of the discourse here, and the legal education apparatus. Anyway, pay no attention to my joy.  Read the article, and share your thoughts.  :)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
Re: Debunking the Mystique of Top 20 Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
I've always been a strong advocate against elitism.  I think it's sad actually how students get so wrapped up in it, especially black students.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing that article. You've helped me to chill out a little about this enitre top 20 idea.

vansondon

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »
I've always been a strong advocate against elitism.  I think it's sad actually how students get so wrapped up in it, especially black students.

I completely agree!

vansondon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing that article. You've helped me to chill out a little about this enitre top 20 idea.

You're welcome!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
Unfortunately, a lot of the firms paying lip-service in the article to personality, ECs, determination, etc. are doing just that. They still have a nice little chart with GPA cutoffs by school.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »
But of course.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »
Knowing people works better than just relying on the namke printed on your degree.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »
I once knew a girl who was so wrapped up in elitism and rankings she got into NYU, Columbia, Stanford and Harvard, but got dinged at Yale and based on that 1 ding decided not to go to law school at all.

No, I'm not kidding.
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »
I once knew a girl who was so wrapped up in elitism and rankings she got into NYU, Columbia, Stanford and Harvard, but got dinged at Yale and based on that 1 ding decided not to go to law school at all.

No, I'm not kidding.
Charles H. Houston