Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RC will be the death of me... I bet none of you can top this.  (Read 1577 times)

crossingmyfingers

• View Profile
RC will be the death of me... I bet none of you can top this.
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
I just finished taking preptest 46.  Although my RC section is always the ugly duckling, this time it was insane.  RC: -9, 17c; LR1: -0, 25c; LR2: -2, 24c; AR/LG: -0, 22c. For a grand total of -11, 88c / 168, which is my median and mode score (hell, half a point away from my mean.  I plan on reading some issues of The Economist, but I fear that there is nothing I can do to overcome my abysmal RC. And this was not a fluke or anything, I think my mean for RC so far has been -8 and I felt very confident about every LR/AR question except for 3... 2 of which i missed.  I dont know why I have so much trouble with this damn section.   

nooyyllib

Re: RC will be the death of me... I bet none of you can top this.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
I'm in a similar boat. LG I'm good at LR I'm getting better at.  But RC has been on and off. On the June 09 exam, I only got 4 wrong so I don't even know.

crossingmyfingers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »
I knocked out a -2 RC on test 23 or so, but it was obviously a fluke.  My next lowest was -7.  Is there any hope for us?  Ive considered skipping the section with the least questions, but honestly, I dont think that would result in improved performance for the other 3 sections.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
oh my.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:41 AM »
Not ragging on the OP, just making a general observation, but I can never understand how people can be so good at the AR and LR sections but so bad at the RC section. It seems like an incredibly common problem and I'll never understand why. To me, it seems like you almost have to have good reading comp. to do good on the other sections.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:04:20 AM »
Not ragging on the OP, just making a general observation, but I can never understand how people can be so good at the AR and LR sections but so bad at the RC section. It seems like an incredibly common problem and I'll never understand why. To me, it seems like you almost have to have good reading comp. to do good on the other sections.

I think the time limit is part of it. Also, IMO, these arent "normal" passages. If you read an article like that in an academic journal or a newspaper, it would suck. No author would write like that on purpose. I do understand many of them are taken from journals, but they're all chopped up. I would sum the section up as 'annoying'.

CIP - The Maize passage.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »
RC was also my worst section by far - and I tend to believe that my Comprehension is at least a tad above average  :P.

The problem I had was that I didn't treat each passage in the same way that I might treat an LR stimulus. I never diagrammed the information, and I would often approach the questions with several embedded assumptions that I should have left in some external mental zone before the test. I knew this was a mistake intellectually, but never really made it part of my prep until it was too late. This was fine for the SAT, but not the LSAT.

The trick to RC I find is that you should remember that all of the information you need to answer each and every question resides directly in the passage. That is say that the RC passage is essentially an aggrandized Must Be True stimulus. This means that you should be comfortable with denoting every possible "questionable" element in the passage and should never, ever look beyond the passage when answering the majority of RC question stems. Even Strenghten/Weaken and Parallel type questions are highly washed down LR concepts when applied to the RC passages - and it becomes rather easy to spot and underline/bracket/highlight those parts of the passage that may prompt these question types after enough preparation.

Once I realized these points my scores quickly improved and I was able to (quite masterfully) break the 170 mark.

Good luck.

Vaio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
oh my.

your best post of the year.

what, "no RC be the hardest ever?" .. "RC on Sept test be the hardest ever?"

you're slipping.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »

I think the time limit is part of it. Also, IMO, these arent "normal" passages. If you read an article like that in an academic journal or a newspaper, it would suck. No author would write like that on purpose. I do understand many of them are taken from journals, but they're all chopped up. I would sum the section up as 'annoying'.

CIP - The Maize passage.

True dat, especially the "normal" passages part.

The LSAT I took had an experimental RC section and it was insanely difficult. Pretty much everyone that I talked to that took the test with me openly admitted that they were kind of freaking out about their score after that section. Nothing like spending the entire break and 2nd LR section thinking you're going to have to retake or go to some *&^% school.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

crossingmyfingers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
To me, it seems like you almost have to have good reading comp. to do good on the other sections.

I totally agree.  If I was actually this bad at reading, I couldn't possibly do so well on the other sections. 

Well, at least I've got 5 more weeks of practice tests before the real deal.