Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worth it/not too late to mass-mail law firms?  (Read 2879 times)

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
Re: Worth it/not too late to mass-mail law firms?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »
Another tactic you might try:

Go back to your home market for a week or so either right before or right after your OCI. Even if you have to miss classes, do it. Before you go, call up recruitment at the firms you're interested in and tell them you'll be in town from date "X to X", are very interested in their firm. You might be able to snag a couple interviews that way. At the very least, you might get someone to look at your resume who ordinarily wouldn't ITE because they don't want to deal with travel expenses and dig through a bunch of resumes. This is assuming you're "qualified" for the firms you're targeting. Don't try it with firms that are way out of your league. If you're unsure look at associate bios and talk to your career office.

I mass mailed firms in my hometown and told them I'd be in town for a week. Got a couple interviews...definitely worth a try I think.
Emory 3L

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »
It can be hard to gage whose being impacted more or less by the economy back home when youíre going to school if a different market. One way you can do this is to join the local bar association as a student member in the market you want to target. Most will have job listevers. Sign up for that. While the jobs that will be posted will be for licensed attorneys and staff, thatís not the point of joining. The point of doing this is that you will see, based on the job postings and frequancy what firms are hiring and which are not. You can thus keep tabs on local firms from a distance. If a firm is hiring attorneys and staff it means they are growing in this economy and not contracting. If you pay enough attention you can also get an idea of what pratcie areas seem to be the most in demand in that city. Target your mass mailings to those firms and those practice areas.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »
DC will be a really tough market to crack this year. Is it worth it to mass-mail? I don't see why not, only thing you'll be out is your time if you email. It probably wouldn't have been worth wasting bids on but I don't see the harm in mass-mailing.