Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worth it/not too late to mass-mail law firms?  (Read 2916 times)

da82167

• View Profile
Worth it/not too late to mass-mail law firms?
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
Hi -

I go to one of the better top 25 caliber law schools (urban, coastal, in a regular year puts a little more than third of its class in biglaw through OCI).

I am in the top 20% of my class and on Law Review. So far, I have 17 interviews lined up through OCI, all pre-screened. Unfortunately, I came up empty in DC, a city to which I have a connection and have always wanted to work.

Is it too late to start mass-mailing firms in DC asking for interviews? Even if it isn't too late, is it a productive use of my time given all the interviews I have to prepare for? I get conflicting answers on this. Finally (I can't resist asking this), how likely am I to come away with something resembling a V100 job? I know all bets are off this year.

ttia.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Worth it/not too late to mass-mail law firms?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »

1) Assuming you can get the resumes out in week or two, you should still mass mail.
2) Nobody can really give you V100 odds (as you are aware).  You are definitely in play though.  If you want to provide school, I can be more specific.  (Fordham to DC will be tough ITE)

da82167

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
just sent you a personal message.

I am not at fordham, fwiw.

And I didn't expect anyone on this board to really know the answer to the last question...just wondering if others at similar schools had been getting any nibbles that would indicate how things are going.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »
I wouldn't waste time with mass mailing. You're probably much better off sending 20 or so targeted cover letters to firms that have hired students like you in the recent past. Keep in mind things will be much more competitive this year and that DC is a much tougher market even in a good economy than NYC. A lot of firms probably aren't going to bother even looking at candidates who send in resumes because they already have a surplus of students to choose from via OCI for much smaller number of spots than in past years.

da82167

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
thanks...all of these are indicative of the mixed responses I have been receiving from people when I ask. Boss of Consortium, only to the extent that you wish, mind sharing general range of school and how you did first year?

da82167

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
nice work, good luck with the callbacks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »
Another tactic you might try:

Go back to your home market for a week or so either right before or right after your OCI. Even if you have to miss classes, do it. Before you go, call up recruitment at the firms you're interested in and tell them you'll be in town from date "X to X", are very interested in their firm. You might be able to snag a couple interviews that way. At the very least, you might get someone to look at your resume who ordinarily wouldn't ITE because they don't want to deal with travel expenses and dig through a bunch of resumes. This is assuming you're "qualified" for the firms you're targeting. Don't try it with firms that are way out of your league. If you're unsure look at associate bios and talk to your career office.

da82167

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »
thanks a lot - I've heard that one floated before, and I just might do it...by call, you mean by telephone? I didn't think that was kosher.

The problem this year is that it's so hard to figure out what's out of my league. My OCI selections have been head-scratchers - I have interviews at top 10 firms but have been dissed by usually less-selective regional ones in the same market. weird.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
It should be fine to call the recruitment dept. I wouldn't call hiring partners though. If you send an email, do not cut and paste a long cover letter into the body of the email. Just send a short email saying you will be in town on dates X to X and you're interested. Then you can just attach the cover letter and resume. ITE, I would call b/c if you email you run the risk that your email will be ignored. Just be articulate, short and to the point when speak with HR/Recruitment. They'll probably ask you to follow up with the email, but at least you've gotten their attention.

The "less selective regional firms" might only be hiring a couple associates or may eventually decide not to hire at all. Just because they're interviewing doesn't mean they'll actually hire. Basically, if they got enough apps from students with better stats/school (not impossible ITE), those students got interviews and you didn't.

Good luck.

da82167

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »
thanks very much for this...