Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley: one of the greats  (Read 3847 times)

thinkbig

• View Profile
Cooley: one of the greats
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »
Cooley law school is better ranked than Stanford, Chicago, Berkeley.......

http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2008.htm

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley: one of the greats
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
Check out these rankings which are derived from a complex algorithm which depends entirely on my own personal opinion:

1.           Tulane
2(Tie).  All other law schools
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

gzl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »
I read on another thread that Cooley used factors like the square footage of their library to come up with their rankings.  I thought it was a bit of sarcasm. It wasn't.  Some of the factors they consider (not sure how it's all weighted):

Total Volumes in Library
Total Titles in Library
Total Serial Subscriptions
Total of Professional Librarians
Library Hours per Week with Professional Staff
Total Library Hours per Week
Library Seating Capacity
Number of Networked Computers Available for Use by Students
Library Total Square Footage

I'm disappointed in Cooley's lack of inventiveness.  If they considered the number of janitors employed in library clean up, or the total surface area of desk-top space available to use for study... or SOMETHING, I'm sure they could have placed themselves above Harvard and the like.

cpierce11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »
The rating system at Cooley is just bogus. It totally different then the US News rankings. It is referred to as Judging the Law Schools now in its Tenth Edition. What is even more messed about it that the people that made this ranking according to Cooley website is Thomas E Brennan and Don LeDuc. Do you know who Don LeDuc is? He is dean of Cooley Law School and is involved in the rankings that they use.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »
Cooley's rankings are the principle reason most people talk *&^% about them. FFT.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
I read on another thread that Cooley used factors like the square footage of their library to come up with their rankings.  I thought it was a bit of sarcasm. It wasn't.  Some of the factors they consider (not sure how it's all weighted):

Total Volumes in Library
Total Titles in Library
Library Seating Capacity

I'm disappointed in Cooley's lack of inventiveness.  If they considered the number of janitors employed in library clean up, or the total surface area of desk-top space available to use for study... or SOMETHING, I'm sure they could have placed themselves above Harvard and the like.

I didn't believe that seating capacity was a factor. Then I checked.

Library Seating Capacity - To study, a student needs a place to sit. The more crowded a library, the more likely it will not be able to serve as a resource to the entire student body.

That's their actual explanation.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »

Total Volumes in Library
Total Titles in Library
Library Seating Capacity

I didn't believe that seating capacity was a factor. Then I checked.

Library Seating Capacity - To study, a student needs a place to sit. The more crowded a library, the more likely it will not be able to serve as a resource to the entire student body.

That's their actual explanation.

Also an easy factor to boost when you have 3 campuses...

Cooley does make for a good study in how you can game stats to make them say whatever you want.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
Check out these rankings which are derived from a complex algorithm which depends entirely on my own personal opinion:

1.           Tulane
2(Tie).  All other law schools

Looks at Crimson's Avatar then exclaims: HA!!!  :D :D :D

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »
I've never heard of Cooley before joining this board. I just visited their webpage, and I actually feel sad for them. How embarrassing...the factors they use to justify their "ranking".

I cry for Cooley, I cry  :'(

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 04:53:18 AM »
There have been a couple times I went to the library to study, and could not find a seat (or at least, my own table--there are two chairs per table). I wish I had gone to Cooley; I would have had a place to sit. :(

But seriously, their rankings are terrible, and I feel bad for any students mislead by their rankings to choose Cooley over better schools, or to attend law school in the first place based on their Cooley acceptance and its rank.