Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Once I get accepted by the school I'm going to  (Read 1250 times)

GoVols

• View Profile
    • Email
Once I get accepted by the school I'm going to
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:01 PM »
Is there any point to still try in undergrad other than having Honors on my degree?

Could I just get all C's and it not make a difference for my future?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Once I get accepted by the school I'm going to
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »
Is there any point to still try in undergrad other than having Honors on my degree?

You will have to spend them your transcripts before you enroll, although they won't dig you for that. Some employers may ask for UG transcripts if you went right from UG to law school. General advice, keep your grades up. Besides you don't want to pick up any bad habits right before LS. Remeber that *&^% goes on your perment record.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

GoVols

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »

You will have to spend them your transcripts before you enroll, although they won't dig you for that. Some employers may ask for UG transcripts if you went right from UG to law school. General advice, keep your grades up. Besides you don't want to pick up any bad habits right before LS. Remeber that *&^% goes on your perment record.

Can they accept you and then deny you based on your grades Senior year?

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:30:05 PM »
not sure about your last question but i would advise you keep up your grades.  i just interviewed at some biglaw firms this week that required UG transcripts.  better to be safe than sorry.
seeing king midas everywhere.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »

You will have to spend them your transcripts before you enroll, although they won't dig you for that. Some employers may ask for UG transcripts if you went right from UG to law school. General advice, keep your grades up. Besides you don't want to pick up any bad habits right before LS. Remeber that poo goes on your perment record.

not likley, buty still just keep your grades up. You never know when its going to come back and haunt you
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Which GPA's do law schools report to USN&WR - the ones they use for their decision or the student's final undergrad GPA? If it's the latter, then I can imagine them dinging someone if their GPA plummets and it's a very competitive school...

St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »

Yes. It would need to be a total disaster, but it's possible. If you slip a bit, say your cumulative GPA is a 3.7 and you turn in a 3.0 final semester, you'll be fine. But if you get straight Ds and/or fail any courses, it might be a tense month or so when you send that final transcript.

Alchemy Prep

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:59:37 PM »
Also, just a note, but many firms will actually ask for your undergrad transcripts when you apply for jobs (this even includes certain elite firms once you have been out of law school for years as well!).

I don't agree with the decision to do so, but it may play a role (albeit a small one) in your career development.

Best,

Kris

www.alchemyprep.com

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:46 PM »

You will have to spend them your transcripts before you enroll, although they won't dig you for that. Some employers may ask for UG transcripts if you went right from UG to law school. General advice, keep your grades up. Besides you don't want to pick up any bad habits right before LS. Remeber that poo goes on your perment record.

Just read the fine print. Most schools once they offer you acceptance, and you accept (including putting down the seat deposit) then it is irrevocable. Some really elite school, however, may have something in there that says they can reject you if you bomb your last semester.

As for firms- they really won't ask about UG, but it will help you to be able to say you did well in UG when they tell you they are looking for a "hard working, motivated, and extremely intelligent individual."