Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have a question about appearance in law school  (Read 3939 times)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: I have a question about appearance in law school
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
Consider upgrading the gym shorts to khaki shorts or cargo shorts and you'll be fine. It doesn't matter what you wear in class, but I didn't see many people come in looking like they had just rolled out of bed. Maybe mix in some business casual every once in a while just to get used to it.

And don't worry about these being your future colleagues or future referrals. The nice guy who dresses like a cleaner hippie is going to get a lot more benefits from his fellow students in the future than the feminine hygiene product who treats people like dirt because of what they wear to class.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »

The nice guy who dresses like a cleaner hippie is going to get a lot more benefits from his fellow students in the future than the feminine hygiene product who treats people like dirt because of what they wear to class.

Especially this.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

GoVols

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »
So, just upgrade the outfit to a collared shirt and some khaki shorts and keep the beard neat (but I use bandanas and head bands all the time, my hair is out of control, but it's important to me) and I should be fine until I interview?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
So, just upgrade the outfit to a collared shirt and some khaki shorts and keep the beard neat (but I use bandanas and head bands all the time, my hair is out of control, but it's important to me) and I should be fine until I interview?

If you want to put in that much work. Seriously, bathe and wear something not grease stained and you'll be cool. Worst case, look nice for a week or two and then gauge where you can go based on where everyone else is. After about 2-3 weeks, everyone that is going to stop trying in the appearance department does.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
Here's one tip:  Unless you're interviewing, have moot court, or are working in some capacity that requires it, don't wear a suit to class.  You will look like the biggest gunner/tool/ in the universe.  Dress like you would have for class in undergrad.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »
Dress like you would have for class in undergrad.

dont forget the vomit-stained shirt that you wore last night!

another tip:  dont @#!* your classmates.  take this advice.  you will thank me, i promise.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD