• MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: I have a question about appearance in law school
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Consider upgrading the gym shorts to khaki shorts or cargo shorts and you'll be fine. It doesn't matter what you wear in class, but I didn't see many people come in looking like they had just rolled out of bed. Maybe mix in some business casual every once in a while just to get used to it.

And don't worry about these being your future colleagues or future referrals. The nice guy who dresses like a cleaner hippie is going to get a lot more benefits from his fellow students in the future than the feminine hygiene product who treats people like dirt because of what they wear to class.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »

The nice guy who dresses like a cleaner hippie is going to get a lot more benefits from his fellow students in the future than the feminine hygiene product who treats people like dirt because of what they wear to class.

Especially this.

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
So, just upgrade the outfit to a collared shirt and some khaki shorts and keep the beard neat (but I use bandanas and head bands all the time, my hair is out of control, but it's important to me) and I should be fine until I interview?

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
So, just upgrade the outfit to a collared shirt and some khaki shorts and keep the beard neat (but I use bandanas and head bands all the time, my hair is out of control, but it's important to me) and I should be fine until I interview?

If you want to put in that much work. Seriously, bathe and wear something not grease stained and you'll be cool. Worst case, look nice for a week or two and then gauge where you can go based on where everyone else is. After about 2-3 weeks, everyone that is going to stop trying in the appearance department does.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
Here's one tip:  Unless you're interviewing, have moot court, or are working in some capacity that requires it, don't wear a suit to class.  You will look like the biggest gunner/tool/ in the universe.  Dress like you would have for class in undergrad.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
Dress like you would have for class in undergrad.

dont forget the vomit-stained shirt that you wore last night!

another tip:  dont @#!* your classmates.  take this advice.  you will thank me, i promise.