Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about which LOR to send to schools  (Read 675 times)

GoVols

• View Profile
    • Email
Question about which LOR to send to schools
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »
I have 5 options.  Could you guys rank them (although I am pretty sure I know who would be 1 and 5, it's 2-4 that I am struggling with).

1.  Language instructor in the military.  Master Sergeant.  Went to S Cal for Law School, decided he wanted to join the military (he  became a lawyer, passed the bar, practiced, etc...) and became a Korean Linguist.  He was the Jewish Lay Leader at the Defense Language Institute where I learned Arabic in the Air Force.  I ran and organized tons of things for him and he has a very fond opinion of me.  To me, the military plus law school of him makes him the best LOR I have.

2.  Language instructor.  Iraqi National.  Civillian.  Very high opinion of me but am wondering since his English is not "perfect" will it hurt to use him as one?

3.  Associate Director of the Day Camp I have worked at for the past 2 summers.  Will give me a great recommendation about my work planning and organizing the teenage group.

4.  Old family friend who was my sunday school teacher.  PHD.  I know he would give me a great one.

5.  My English 101 teacher who is not yet a PhD, but he has first hand accounts of me in college.  None of the others do.

So, rank them from 1-5, 1 being the best and 5 being the worst.

lawlawlaw77

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about which LOR to send to schools
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:21:22 AM »
How long have you been out of your undergrad? It is very important to have at least 2 academics on your LORs...  If I were to rank these letters I would go with...

1- This is pretty good one. (still would be best to have a full blown academic)

2-  not very good IMHO

3- Use this only if you are highlighting this work in your PS and resume

4- not very good at all IMHO

5- This is a good one.  It's fine that the phd did not arrive yet...  I've read admissions deans even suggesting TAs when necessary.