Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas ED  (Read 592 times)

Tavria

• View Profile
    • Email
Texas ED
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
I know with Texas ED there is really nothing to lose because if they reject you, they actually consider your application again later in the cycle, but does anybody have experience or know anybody with experience applying ED there? Does it really help much?  I'm an out of state student, so I'm trying to get as much out of my numbers as possible.  I'm testing around 167-168 on my PT's, with a 3.43 GPA.  Does applying ED prevent you from being considered for scholarships there?

PurplePug

• View Profile
Re: Texas ED
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:57:13 PM »
From the Texas Law website:

Applicants who decide to apply for Early Decision Admission will not have a greater probability of being admitted nor will applicants who want to apply under Regular Decision Admission be at a disadvantage in the admissions process. The same standards and criteria will be used to evaluate all applicants, whether the application is filed Early or under Regular Decision Admissions. The advantage to those applying early is the possibility of receiving a final decision much earlier in the process. By holding a portion of the Early Decision applicants for review with the pool of Regular Decision applicants, we ensure that neither group is advantaged or disadvantaged.

When reviewing early decision applicants, the admissions committee has three options: 1. offer admission, 2. deny admission, or 3. "hold" the applicant for further review with the general admission applicant pool. The first two options are final decisions, whereas the third is an interim decision which may delay an applicant's receiving a final decision until April.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/admissions/application/faqs.html

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
Applying ED to a school with non-binding ED/EA programs doesn't prevent you from being considered for scholarships because they still need to entice students to attend. From my own experience, I applied ED to UT and received a rather substantial scholarship still.

Good luck!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
Applying ED to a school with non-binding ED/EA programs doesn't prevent you from being considered for scholarships because they still need to entice students to attend. From my own experience, I applied ED to UT and received a rather substantial scholarship still.

Good luck!

What were your numbers? Were you out of state like me?

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »
By the way...my GPA is 3.43...I've been out of undergrad for a couple years and have decent soft factors (went on a scholastically related international trip, volunteer work etc.).  What do you guys think I'd need to get into Texas? 168 or so? I'm not talking to get my percentage in the 90's...just maybe into the 60's.

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »
By the way...my GPA is 3.43...I've been out of undergrad for a couple years and have decent soft factors (went on a scholastically related international trip, volunteer work etc.).  What do you guys think I'd need to get into Texas? 168 or so? I'm not talking to get my percentage in the 90's...just maybe into the 60's.

Also for what it's worth, their dual degree in Eastern European Studies/Russian studies really interests me...would it be a good idea to mention something like that in a PS?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:08:03 AM »

Lower GPA but higher LSAT. Also out of state.

Also for what it's worth, their dual degree in Eastern European Studies/Russian studies really interests me...would it be a good idea to mention something like that in a PS?

If you're writing a Why Texas (or something like that), I'd mention the dual degree program for sure (as well as how it relates to your future career plans).

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:45:20 AM »

Lower GPA but higher LSAT. Also out of state.

If you're writing a Why Texas (or something like that), I'd mention the dual degree program for sure (as well as how it relates to your future career plans).

Was your LSAT above 170?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 02:53:57 AM »
Yes.