Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a dark blue suit, pink dress shirt, and pink pocket square too flashy?  (Read 17471 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
as long as you're not walking in there with bleached hair or spandex i think you're fine.

oh NOW you tell me, that my explain why I never got that call back
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
No pocket square. Besides, the pocket square should match your tie, not your shirt.

Pocket square should compliment the outfit, not match the tie.  A tie/pocket square with the exact same color (or pattern) is the mark of an amateur.  That being said, save the pocket square for the cocktail reception, and save the pink shirt for Valentines Day.

I don't know the first thing about buying suits.  Can interviewers tell if it's a cheapy (i.e. <200)?

Most interviewers probably can't tell unless its been tailored poorly.  Many of them wear cheap suits themselves.  Many of the signs of a cheap suit are behind the scenes anyway (such as the stitching behind the collar).  Cheap suits tend to have a more coarse material that has less sheen, though there are expensive suits that do too, especially winter suits.  You'll rarely find a cheap suit with really smoothe material.  At the end of the day, you're a law student interviewing for a first job--they don't expect you to be wearing anything exceptional.

Rather than drop the money on an expensive suit, I think your cash is better invested in a couple pairs of good dress shoes like Allen Edmonds or Alden.  Avoid rubber soles.

Also, are navy pinstipes not conservative enough?  I went into the store and asked for something conservative and that's what they gave me.

Pinstripes are less conservative than solids, and are more "businessy" than "lawyerly," but the difference is not enough to justify avoiding subtle pinstripes.  Many attorneys wear them.  One thing to consider, though, is if you're only planning to buy only a couple suits, it will be obvious from the pinstripes that you're wearing the same suit every other day.

One other thing, whether you get stripes or not, wear only charcoal or navy suits to interviews.  Black is for funerals and evenings out.  Wearing black to an interview is also the mark of an amateur.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
And EarlCat has good advice re shoes, as well. That's another mark of an amateur.

And shine your damn shoes.  If you don't know how, go to youtube.  If I had a nickel for every pair of worn out, scuffed up shoes I saw this week, I wouldn't need a law job.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
In a nutshell:

Right

Wrong

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
This thread makes me so glad I don't have to wear a suit to work unless I'm in court. Yesterday I was over dressed becuase I had socks and tennis shoes on not sandles. Hippie lawyers = everyday is cuasual day
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FWIW, I landed my job with a dark blue suit, light pink dress shirt, and bold pink tie.

Not that I recommend it.

This thread makes me so glad I don't have to wear a suit to work unless I'm in court. Yesterday I was over dressed becuase I had socks and tennis shoes on not sandles. Hippie lawyers = everyday is cuasual day

Mandatory jacket here.  Casual Friday means no tie.   ???

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
FWIW, I landed my job with a dark blue suit, light pink dress shirt, and bold pink tie.

Not that I recommend it.

Mandatory jacket here.  Casual Friday means no tie.   ???

Yea public intrest envriomental work = if I wear a suit to the office on a non court day they probably won't let me in. Besides I get to work from home a alot, plush bathrobe is nice.

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Generally speaking, I would say that is too flashy.  I would stick with black or navy blue suit with a white button up shirt on the inside.  Law is a very conservative profession.  But of course, it would depend on the interviewer.  Rolling the dice on this would probably be unfavorable to you if you don't know anything about the interviewer though.  It's probably safer to assume that he is part of the general rule rather than the exception.