Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a dark blue suit, pink dress shirt, and pink pocket square too flashy?  (Read 17826 times)

exgratia

• View Profile
 ???

The suit looks really nice. I just don't know how serious hiring attorneys take the tradition of dark suits and white dress shirts. I get sick of white dress shirts.

one4theteam

• View Profile
My honest take, maybe leave off the pocket square.  I've never seen anyone interview with one.  I worked at the court this summer and I've never seen an attorney wear one to court.  I worked at a firm before law school and I've near seen the attorneys there nor any interviewees wear one.

Personally, I think its a nice touch to a look.  BUT I think interviewers might be thrown off by it because its fairly unconventional for a law firm interview.  My fear would be that your interviewers might question whether you took the two seconds to figure out what it is people should wear that is event appropriate. 

I'd rather they ding me for my lack of interest in the firm, inability to articulate, pure lack of fit with the the firm, etc.

Good luck.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Exgratia & All -

I hate to keep doing this, but there's a book on this very topic.  It's The Insider's Guide to Getting a Big Firm Job.

Thane.

PS:  As to both pocket squares and pink shirts, no and no.  Not even a close call.  Do you want to make a fashion statement, or do you want the job?  Paradoxically, to get the job, you want the opposite of attention to your appearance.  You want the interviewers to not even know why you look so sharp.  Just that you do.     

PPS: But don't take my word for it.  Here's a colleague who, as it happens, wrote the foreword to Insider's Guide:  "Personally, I was as clueless as can be during my interviews in law school.  Some of my missteps mostly seem cute in retrospect, like wearing a carefully fluffed bright red pocket-square during interviews.  I was new to wearing suits, and had no idea about the finer points – I thought I looked quite dapper.  Other missteps were more egregious, and almost certainly cost me several call-back opportunities, like taking interviewing tactics from Grisham’s The Firm (the book, not the movie).  Lo and behold, reality is different from fiction."

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Exgratia & All -

I hate to keep doing this, but there's a book on this very topic.  It's The Insider's Guide to Getting a Big Firm Job.

Thane.

that's just it spamela anderson...

you really don't.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is this a flame? Wear that if you want to stand out in a bad way. The fact that you even have to ask means you probably shouldn't.

No pocket squares for interviews. Plain white or plain light blue are the only color shirts you should wear to an interview.

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is this a flame? Wear that if you want to stand out in a bad way. The fact that you even have to ask means you probably shouldn't.

No pocket squares for interviews. Plain white or plain light blue are the only color shirts you should wear to an interview.

TITCR. I personally am a big fan of French cuffs and shirts that aren't colored white, light blue, or grey, and I had to learn to save 'em for the weekend. It was painful but I'm glad I did it. You really do stand out otherwise.
'10

bradley

• View Profile
I don't know the first thing about buying suits.  Can interviewers tell if it's a cheapy (i.e. <200)?  Also, are navy pinstipes not conservative enough?  I went into the store and asked for something conservative and that's what they gave me.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
I don't know the first thing about buying suits.  Can interviewers tell if it's a cheapy (i.e. <200)?  Also, are navy pinstipes not conservative enough?  I went into the store and asked for something conservative and that's what they gave me.

nvay pin stripes plus whiet shirt = conservative, you will be fine.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Interviewers can tell if you're wearing a cheap suit, but will most likely not care.

As long as the suit fits you decently, is clean, and you have a neat and clean appearance you should be fine.

Although a solid navy or dark gray suit is preferable, many navy pin stripe suits will look conservative enough for interviewers.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
as long as you're not wearing an uncomfortably weird looking suit and you impress them with your personality, you're fine - with or without pocket square.  i know a few awesome litigators who are actually known (and adored) for their pocket squares - it adds character.  as long as you're not walking in there with bleached hair or spandex i think you're fine.
seeing king midas everywhere.