Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question on call back interviews  (Read 6910 times)

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question on call back interviews
« on: August 13, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
Mostly just looking for some general information about what goes on in call back interviews. Also, how many people are usually "called back"? I'm kind of curious what kind of questions I'm going to be asked, whether I should still wear a suit, stuff like that.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Question on call back interviews
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
1.  Wear a suit.  It's still an interview.  This shouldn't even be a question.

2.  You show up in the morning (most likely), you will meet with likely 4-6 attorneys.  You will definitely meet with a partner or two, likely some senior and midlevel associates, and maybe juniors.  You may get a list of people who you will meet with - take the time to look them up on the website to find out a little about them - what practice group, any thing you have in common, etc.

3.  You'll be asked interview questions.  Some attorneys, who may be more old school, will ask the classic annoying interview questions (strengths, weaknesses, etc.).  You will absolutely be asked what type of law you want to practice, and you will be asked what you're looking for in a firm.  You may be asked about law review/moot court/mock trial, if you're involved.  You may be asked about classes.  You may be asked about hobbies or interests.

4.  You need to be prepared with questions to ask.  Do your homework.  And DO NOT ask the same 2-3 questions of each interviewer.  The attorneys who you meet with will all compare notes at hiring committee meetings, and asking the same 3 questions will ensure you do not receive an offer.

5.  You may/likely will go out to lunch afterwards, usually with either two more junior associates or a partner and an associate.  Even if it seems more casual, don't kid yourself - it's still part of the interview.  You need to be personable, likeable, etc., but don't let your guard down.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I pretty much knew I would have to wear a suit, but I really didn't want to because I just bought my first suit....and I'm not buying another. So i'll just have to get another shirt and tie for that suit.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
i agree with pretty much everything that jacy said, except for the following, where i think the word "ensure" is probably too strong:

4.  ...and asking the same 3 questions will ensure you do not receive an offer.

i asked many of the same questions for a lot of people.  i don't think it's too much of an issue if you're asking them their opinion on things, since you can legitimately try to get a number of opinions on the same question. 

having said that, as a general rule it's probably better to at least TRY to mix it up, as jacy suggested.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »
what would you say are the chances you get an offer from a call-back interview?  is 40% being too optimistic?...
seeing king midas everywhere.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
what would you say are the chances you get an offer from a call-back interview?  is 40% being too optimistic?...

it varies from firm to firm.  some places give practically everyone they call back an offer.  others ranged as low as 50%.  can't say which direction the economy is pulling this figure (firms might have gotten tighter in terms of giving offers after callbacks, or just tighter in terms of giving callbacks), but i don't think 40% is too optimistic by any means.

oh, and this is the latest incarnation of tm., fyi.  hope recruiting is going well for you.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
So, another question. I mentioned before that I only have one suit. Do firms realize that some people only have the one suit at this point? Furthermore, I doubt they're really going to remember much about what I was wearing from just a 20 minute interview (given all the people they saw that day). I figure if I just get a new shirt and tie to go with the suit I should be ok. Is this accurate? Obviously a new suit would be ideal, but that's just not realistic right now.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44:40 PM »

it varies from firm to firm.  some places give practically everyone they call back an offer.  others ranged as low as 50%.  can't say which direction the economy is pulling this figure (firms might have gotten tighter in terms of giving offers after callbacks, or just tighter in terms of giving callbacks), but i don't think 40% is too optimistic by any means.

oh, and this is the latest incarnation of tm., fyi.  hope recruiting is going well for you.

tm!!!!!!!! i've been off lsd for way too long.  i will PM you in a few.

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:43:21 AM »

tm!!!!!!!! i've been off lsd for way too long.  i will PM you in a few.

did we ever figure out whose alt this is?

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »
what's an alt?