Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is going to a lower ranked school really that bad?  (Read 9013 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Is going to a lower ranked school really that bad?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:13:33 AM »

How people cannot see through the transparent money-making venture that is the Newsweek law school rankings is BEYOND me.

You are confused. Newsweek does not rank law schools.

For the rest of us socially well adjusted folks who can nail every interview we have, we'll be laughing when we see you in court. 

What about those of us who are doing transactional law?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
How people cannot see through the transparent money-making venture that is the Newsweek law school rankings is BEYOND me.  Aren't we supposed to be skilled at higher reasoning?  Ever heard of medical school rankings?  Why not? 

WE ALL TAKE THE SAME LICENSING TEST!  I bang my head thinking of the idiots who live and die on this website trying to figure out an artificial ranking system.  FOOLS!  I hope the publishers at Newsweek make loads of money off the idiots who buy their crap, and have a good laugh while they're at it.  Anyone who is duped by such stupidity is the author of their own demise.

Now, if you're a socially inept moron who cannot sell himself in an interview, perhaps securing your future by way of school reputation isn't such a bad idea.  For the rest of us socially well adjusted folks who can nail every interview we have, we'll be laughing when we see you in court.  Too bad your school jacket won't be allowed in the room.  Boo hoo!

you would be more convincing if you had less of an "oh yeah?  well i'll show you!" kind of tone.

after all, not sounding like you have something to prove to everyone else is part of being socially well adjusted, wouldn't you agree?

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »
What about those of us who are doing transactional law?

transactional law no longer exists.  ;)

And here, you had to be in the top 10% of the class to even get a screening interview with one of the Vault 100 firms. 

you're just a slave to the money-making venture that is the Vault law firm rankings!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »

transactional law no longer exists.  Wink

Oddly enough, my summer firm gave me a transactional offer  :o
Does this mean I get to do BIGGHOSTLAW?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »

transactional law no longer exists.  Wink

Oddly enough, my summer firm gave me a transactional offer  :o
Does this mean I get to do BIGGHOSTLAW?

yes.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
yes.

Sweet. While I am at it, I will take down the BIGNEWSWEEKCONSPIRACY with my GHOSTLAW skillz.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

mooms

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »
People terribly concerned with their marketability are misappropriating responsibility.  Your law school, ranked by the cronies of American media and using the most bogus "calculations," is not responsibility for the social ineptitude of job candidate graduating from its institution.  But, alas, it's far easier to point the blame at extrinsic factors like law school reputation or "ranking" than it is to be honest with oneself. 

Case in point, case in point, case in point.

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
People terribly concerned with their marketability are misappropriating responsibility.  Your law school, ranked by the cronies of American media and using the most bogus "calculations," is not responsibility for the social ineptitude of job candidate graduating from its institution.  But, alas, it's far easier to point the blame at extrinsic factors like law school reputation or "ranking" than it is to be honest with oneself. 

Case in point, case in point, case in point.

this post makes you sound like one of those people who use big words to try to sound smarter.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
Your law school, ranked by the cronies of American media

Wait, now I am really confused.

If the "cronies" of American media are ranking schools, what is the American media doing? If the cronies are ranking and publishing, doesn't that make them the American media?

On second thought:

Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

French Fry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
Thank you everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. Some of you raised many good points; I want to get into the highest ranking school I can, but tuition also plays a major factor in what I am capable of affording. I was barely able to finish out my last year of undergrad because I could not get enough financial aid. And I have also thought about working my butt off during my first year and then transferring to a better law school. I know it is a long shot, but it is worth a try. Again, thanks guys!