Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you need to get almost every citation perfect in the write on to make LR?  (Read 973 times)

bradley

• View Profile
I'm at a top school and doing the write on and it is brutal.  There's no way I'm getting all of these citations correct, they're all too confusing.  Am I doomed?

one4theteam

• View Profile
Might be a little late to chime in, but if you're feeling weak on the citations I'd focus on the substance of the written element of the comp.  Really focus on coming up with a different insight on the materials that is WELL structured. 

I made LR even though I know I screwed up on the citations.  I also knew I gave my graders a unique point of view that was both well written AND well organized.  The people who generally made the cut were the "out of the box" types. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I'll begin by saying that each LR or journal is run differently...

But coming up with a "unique" point of view or argument is stupid for LR.  It may be possible that graders are given the freedom to judge however they want and just give high scores to submissions they like.  You end up with inconsistency among graders, however.  It's more likely that graders have an outline that tells them how many points they can allocate for specific things/points, and then a chunk of points for grammar, clarity, etc.

When I graded submissions, I came across only one paper that was so stellar that *despite* missing most of the points that we were looking for, I recommended an invitation for journal.  Most people that tried to "think outside the box" merely came across as missing the point, no matter how clearly and well structured they were while doing so.  Therefore, I DO NOT recommend that you get the creative juices flowing for law review write on.  It worked out for the last poster, but it's rare. 

And for the OP...it's way late, as you're already done, but if anyone else stumbles across this thread:  If citations are confusing, you need to stop what you're doing and take a breath.  The bluebook and citations aren't that hard.  If you can identify the what it is you are citing, you go to the index, find it, and slowly and methodically follow the examples in the bluebook.  It's rare to find something that isn't in there.  If the authors of the citation problems have put something *that* complex on there, then don't stress about it, because everyone else will be struggling just as much.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
I'll just add, and this seems basic but some people do it every year anyway, don't use the "blue pages" in the Blue Book, those rules are for memeos/briefs, NOT law review, use white pages (most of the book) only.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

bradley

• View Profile
Thanks for your input, everybody.  When I got to thinking about it, there were only a few citations that I did not feel good about (mainly foreign cases and constitutions).  Oh well, it's done.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Thanks for your input, everybody.  When I got to thinking about it, there were only a few citations that I did not feel good about (mainly foreign cases and constitutions).  Oh well, it's done.

Forgien cases are a pain, don't worry about those, even after 3 years on a journal I still had to look those up everytime
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.