Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how to spend year off preparing for law school  (Read 4814 times)

PastryPhil

how to spend year off preparing for law school
« on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
I received my BS in Business Administration two years ago and have been studying Mandarin Chinese in Shanghai the past year.  After my undergrad studies, I have never worked anything more than a part time or summer internship.

I want to attend law school, probably Fall 2010.  In your opinion, what is the best strategy to make the most out of my 1 year before entering law school other than preparing for the LSAT and other application documents?  Possibly take paralegal classes at a community college, intern at a law firm, or seek full-time employment?  Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time!

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: how to spend year off preparing for law school
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
Get a job- you'll make money and, depending on where you work, hopefully make contacts that will help you in the future
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
Get a job- you'll make money and, depending on where you work, hopefully make contacts that will help you in the future

/practical blueskies

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »

/practical blueskies

:D :D
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
You can use the year off to add some diversity to your application. Some suggestions:

If you’re a girl: pick up heroin habit, turn tricks for drug money, have baby with pimp (+2 if interracial AND crack baby), get into program, get clean, write diversity statement on your struggles.

If you’re a boy: pick up heroine habit, turn tricks in park with old men for drug money, cross dress for a few months, gbet into program, get clean, write diversity statement on your struggles.

If you start right now you can do all that in 12 months with a good work ethic.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

PurplePug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:43:20 PM »
If you don't want to work full-time (or can't find employment) you could always volunteer. That way you have something of substance to add to the resume.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:06:55 AM »
If you don't want to work full-time (or can't find employment) you could always volunteer. That way you have something of substance to add to the resume.

And all those humanitarian smiles pay the bills...

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:06:43 AM »
Get a job.  I don't think taking community college paralegal classes is going to do much for you except waste money.  Once you're in law school, you're going to need some spending money because there's not much time left to work (plus ABA regulations only allow 1Ls to work 20 hours a week or so).

Vaio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:56:41 AM »

And all those humanitarian smiles pay the bills...

:D