Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: does undergrad really add ZERO weight to your resume?  (Read 2699 times)

mallow55

• View Profile
does undergrad really add ZERO weight to your resume?
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
just wondering - i went to an HYP undergrad (currently at an HYSCC).  will my undergrad help my biglaw resume even a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit?

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: does undergrad really add ZERO weight to your resume?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »
just wondering - i went to an HYP undergrad (currently at an HYSCC).  will my undergrad help my biglaw resume even a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit?

five tinies maybe.  probably not four.  and this is completely serious.

really, it depends on who's looking at the resume.

hawkpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
Based on where you are at Law School, my guess it it will not help much, b/c a lot of your competition will have the same thing on their resume.  If you were at a Texas, WashU, or equivilant, you would likely stand out more.  My two cents

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »
Agree w/ what hawkpilot said. Lots of elite college grads at your type of law school. Not going to stand out so much, probably.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
My firm looks at undergrad school.  Those from Ivy League undergrads going to T14 schools are labeled "superstars" and I think are often given preferential treatment.  (at least, that's how is has been in years past)

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
My firm looks at undergrad school.  Those from Ivy League undergrads going to T14 schools are labeled "superstars" and I think are often given preferential treatment.  (at least, that's how is has been in years past)

really?

clearly, i've been misinformed.

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
It can help a little bit, particularly if you did very well. It can also help your interview experience if your interviewer went to the same place. I think it may help more if you went to a place with a smaller or particularly loyal alum base. If you went to an LAC (where they don't have grad schools) or place like ND then the connection can be especially helpful. The name itself will only help a little though as there are a lot of HYP people at top law schools. It probably helps a lot more in smaller markets (and not biglaw) that don't have so many HYP people applying.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:38:25 AM »
My firm looks at undergrad school.  Those from Ivy League undergrads going to T14 schools are labeled "superstars" and I think are often given preferential treatment.  (at least, that's how is has been in years past)

really?

clearly, i've been misinformed.

I had heard the same as you, hooloovoo, though admittedly this -- biglaw recruiting -- isn't really my arena.  I know a lot of people are very loyal to their colleges and will bump up alums if they have any say, but I don't think of this as an HYP-wide or Ivy-wide phenomenon.  Also, aren't Ivy/top LAC alums a dime a dozen in most top-tier law schools where firms are recruiting?  I know that even at my T2, there were at least five Ivy alumni in my small section of 18 or so (only one HYP, though).  In any case, I guess different firms look at things differently.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:31 AM »
I think it just really depends on who is doing the recruiting.  Firms generally, but more importantly, recruiters and hiring committee members, may or may not care about "pedigree."  For the last few years at my firm, the people in charge have emphasized ivy league undergrad paired with T14 law school.  It seems these are the 1Ls we invite to firm events, etc. w/ the hope that they'll come back to interview as 2Ls.

Does it mean these people automatically get jobs here?  No.  As we all know, going to HYP means almost nothing when it comes to law school grades.  Grades and journal membership are the great equalizer/

(caveat - I'm not on the hiring committee, so this is my understanding from convos w/ hiring committee members, our recruiting staff, and observation on who we give SA offers to).

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:11:17 AM »
If you were an engineering or hard sciences UG and now are pursuing IP, then it probably matters a bit. Otherwise, no it doesn't add anything. One nice thing about going to grad school for most of us is that we can go to the worst accredited school possible for UG, save a ton of money, do very little work to get great grades, get a degree, and then go to a grad school and it matters none. Overall there's probably more people like me that went to a bad UG then people like you that went to Penn for UG though.