Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: undergrad - does it factor in at all?  (Read 7281 times)

mallow55

• View Profile
undergrad - does it factor in at all?
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
if you went to an ivy league undergrad (i went to an HYP), does it help even a teensy weensy bit when firms look at your resume? 

atomic40

• 4L evening student
    • View Profile
Re: undergrad - does it factor in at all?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »
I can not imagine it hurts having an Ivy League school on your resume.  Some firms even ask for undergrad transcripts.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »
I think it's helped me a little bit.  i.e., I've gotten a bit of a bump and a second look from places, and firms tend to think I'm more impressive because of it.  I don't think an Ivy undergrad would cancel out the effect of having mediocre grades, though.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
If you went to Harvard undergrad, but are at Cooley law school, nobody cares....

Recent LS Grad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »
If you went to Harvard undergrad, but are at Cooley law school, nobody cares....

Considering this:

i have a 3.1'ish GPA at an HYSCC law school...

I don't think that's quite what the OP is asking.

I think that undergrad helps if the interviewer happened to go to the same school or something.  I don't think it would matter all that much to be HYP in general though.

Also, OP: HYSCC?  Blatant CLS/Chicago trolling.

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »
My former boss invited several different entry-level attorneys for in-person interviews, based on their undergrad. His reasoning was that they were still young enough in the legal industry, so it made sense to review both their law school and their undergraduate performance.

Further, he specifically second-interviewed a guy who went to an HYP undergrad and a second tier law school. He thought the candidate was excellent and wanted an opportunity to determine why the discrepancy in rank between UG and law school. Turns out that the candidate's reason wasn't compelling, but it does provide anecdotal evidence that employers look at more than just the latest academic entry on a resume.

My current boss has strong ties to her undergrad, so it absolutely plays a role in our hiring.

I didn't go to an Ivy undergrad, but I attended an Ivy law school. When I lateraled ~ a year ago, there was a small but vocal minority of firms who wanted to talk about my undergrad. Again, anecdotal evidence, but I'd say the undergrad does matter somewhat....just another soft factor to throw into the mix.
Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
There was a former poster who went to Chicago Law School with a very interesting story.  He did a community college before a state school for his b.a. prior to law school.  He found out later the community college hurt him in the employment process.  He assumed it'd give him character. 

lawschoolsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »
Yes undergrad matters. I went to an IVY undergrad and a TTT and recently landed a firm job (I should say my resume was fairly well padded but my grades were mediocre- thank goodness for moot court). All they cared about was the IVY but the question arose as to why I went to a TTT from an IVY (duh, isn't it obvious?). I guess it wasn't so I simply told them money was a factor (which wasn't a lie since I did get a substantial scholarship).

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
No, it doesn't matter at all.

I also went to an Ivy. I always got the question "How did you like college?" and the people I knew who did not go to Ivy schools never got that question.

I know 2 other people who went to the same Ivy as me, both people always got that question on interviews. We were in agreement that the interviewers never seemed to like the response (we all said we liked it). I feel that it has hurt me at times, though I'm not going to ever say I regret going to an Ivy League school. Sometimes I think I have some bitter interviewer who was rejected by that school at some point in their lives.

lawschoolsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »
No, it doesn't matter at all.

I also went to an Ivy. I always got the question "How did you like college?" and the people I knew who did not go to Ivy schools never got that question.

I know 2 other people who went to the same Ivy as me, both people always got that question on interviews. We were in agreement that the interviewers never seemed to like the response (we all said we liked it). I feel that it has hurt me at times, though I'm not going to ever say I regret going to an Ivy League school. Sometimes I think I have some bitter interviewer who was rejected by that school at some point in their lives.

Um, wouldn't this experience mean that your undergrad DID factor into their decision??(maybe not positively in your case, but it did matter)