Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do Employers Really Pay Attention To US News & World Report Rankings?

Yes
No
To Some Extent

Author Topic: Do Employers Really Look At The Rankings Like We Think They Do?  (Read 19019 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Do Employers Really Look At The Rankings Like We Think They Do?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
Oh and note they have a DC office, it could be that the GWU's summered in the DC office, then got offers for the frims Denver office becuase that what the firm had open. So we don't know, they could have wanted to be in Denver, or they could have been placed in Denver. So it may not be self selction theat they ended up here. I think you if looked at Denver firms without any east cost offices you would not find as many east coast schools (other than the tops of course).

Martindale shows about 144 results for individual lawyers in Colorado who are graduates from GWU (not sure if they're JD or LLM,though).

Becuase I'm lazy, do a search for Denver and Colorado and let me know the numbers plaese.

lol!  There are 63.

what? at that firm or in all of colorado? LOL and 63 total

Sorry.  Martindale shows 86 (individual lawyers).

Now you made me go search. When I put in Denver I got 4,378 did not bother doing Colorado. Did you do a search under Denver Univisity by chance?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

vansondon

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »
Oh and note they have a DC office, it could be that the GWU's summered in the DC office, then got offers for the frims Denver office becuase that what the firm had open. So we don't know, they could have wanted to be in Denver, or they could have been placed in Denver. So it may not be self selction theat they ended up here. I think you if looked at Denver firms without any east cost offices you would not find as many east coast schools (other than the tops of course).

Martindale shows about 144 results for individual lawyers in Colorado who are graduates from GWU (not sure if they're JD or LLM,though).

Becuase I'm lazy, do a search for Denver and Colorado and let me know the numbers plaese.

lol!  There are 63.

Now you made me go search. When I put in Denver I got 4,378 did not bother doing Colorado. Did you do a search under Denver Univisity by chance?

That was the point (to make you go search)...lol Well, there are definitely not 4,378 from George Washington Law School though... I didn't do it by any Denver schools.  I kind of already figured they would be the overwhelming majority.  I went to advanced search, typed in George Washington in the law school portion, then once I got the results, I clicked on Denver under the "City" sub-category on the left.

vansondon

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »

lol!  There are 63.

That was the point (to make you go search)...lol Well, there are definitely not 4,378 from George Washington Law School though... I didn't do it by any Denver schools.  I kind of already figured they would be the overwhelming majority.  I went to advanced search, typed in George Washington in the law school portion, then once I got the results, I clicked on Denver under the "City" sub-category on the left.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Hey I have a job I'm not doing, I don't need to be cuaght goiung to Martindale on my first day. Not the look at all
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

vansondon

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »
Hey I have a job I'm not doing, I don't need to be cuaght goiung to Martindale on my first day. Not the look at all

:D

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I donít know if I agree with this. Reputation plays a big role in ranking for US News, more so than job placement does (as an individual factor). There are simply more lawyers and judges getting ballots in places like DC and NYC, and SF and LA then there are getting ballots in most states. Hence the schools that feed into these markets most tend to get the most responses and get higher rankings than schools in BFE.

i'm speaking in very general terms.  and i did say that reputation is more relevant at a local than a national level.  USNWR doesn't capture that.

and yes, i think regional rankings make more sense.  maybe state-by-state, which schools will provide the best job opportunities.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I donít know if I agree with this. Reputation plays a big role in ranking for US News, more so than job placement does (as an individual factor). There are simply more lawyers and judges getting ballots in places like DC and NYC, and SF and LA then there are getting ballots in most states. Hence the schools that feed into these markets most tend to get the most responses and get higher rankings than schools in BFE.

i'm speaking in very general terms.  and i did say that reputation is more relevant at a local than a national level.  USNWR doesn't capture that.

and yes, i think regional rankings make more sense.  maybe state-by-state, which schools will provide the best job opportunities.

Myabe a national ranking of which school place best nationally, then a regional ranking, tops in the region. That way you take the national schools out so they don't dominate by the presence of so many grads in one or two cities. Still own't work well for east coast becuase of the number of large markets and schools there, but would give you a more realistic idea of what your chances are of moving from say Seattle to Boston to go to BC in hopes of coming back to Seattle. 1-xxx national rankings just tend to make people think a 30s school is better than a 90s school even if the 90s school is in the city where they want to work. I think a lot of people get stuck that way in places they did not really want to live.

vansondon

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

Myabe a national ranking of which school place best nationally, then a regional ranking, tops in the region. That way you take the national schools out so they don't dominate by the presence of so many grads in one or two cities. Still own't work well for east coast becuase of the number of large markets and schools there, but would give you a more realistic idea of what your chances are of moving from say Seattle to Boston to go to BC in hopes of coming back to Seattle. 1-xxx national rankings just tend to make people think a 30s school is better than a 90s school even if the 90s school is in the city where they want to work. I think a lot of people get stuck that way in places they did not really want to live.

I see.  Definitely makes a lot of sense to me.  BTW, I love your clinical studies quote.  Hilarious!

hooloovoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »

or just get rid of "national placement" altogether.  if people want to know what that looks like, they can just see the rankings for NYC.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »

or just get rid of "national placement" altogether.  if people want to know what that looks like, they can just see the rankings for NYC.

*cough*doesn'taccountforselfselection*cough*

Obviously there are no perfect indicators.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.