Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do Employers Really Pay Attention To US News & World Report Rankings?

Yes
No
To Some Extent

Author Topic: Do Employers Really Look At The Rankings Like We Think They Do?  (Read 18506 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Do Employers Really Look At The Rankings Like We Think They Do?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »

I'm in Denver, and if not for this baord I never would have heard of any of those schools. I've also yet to meet any of thier grads. I'm sure there are some here, but not many. People here know the top few schools, the schools round here, and that's about it.

Here is one link I found with a law firm in Denver that just happened to have four attorneys from GWU and Washington and Lee... I'm sure there are more.  But I think I get what you mean; I just don't think it applies to everywhere west of Indiana.

http://www.lawyers.com/Colorado/Denver/McKenna-Long-and-Aldridge-LLP-296724-f.html

2 of the JD's from GWU got thier LLM there, not thier JD. And there are 5 Denver grads out of 17 lawyers, 3 to 1 of any other school. Damn, and one Roger Willaims grad who got his LLM at GWU. Good for that guy!

But does it really matter whether it's a JD or an LLM? 

Yes, hiring works diffrently for LLM. But again, local grads outnumber all other grads even from t14 schools. Its like that at most Denver firms.  I'm amazed at the Roger Williams guy, now that's a school no one has heard of, even in RI.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
Oh and note they have a DC office, it could be that the GWU's summered in the DC office, then got offers for the frims Denver office becuase that what the firm had open. So we don't know, they could have wanted to be in Denver, or they could have been placed in Denver. So it may not be self selction theat they ended up here. I think you if looked at Denver firms without any east cost offices you would not find as many east coast schools (other than the tops of course).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

vansondon

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »

I'm in Denver, and if not for this baord I never would have heard of any of those schools. I've also yet to meet any of thier grads. I'm sure there are some here, but not many. People here know the top few schools, the schools round here, and that's about it.

Here is one link I found with a law firm in Denver that just happened to have four attorneys from GWU and Washington and Lee... I'm sure there are more.  But I think I get what you mean; I just don't think it applies to everywhere west of Indiana.

http://www.lawyers.com/Colorado/Denver/McKenna-Long-and-Aldridge-LLP-296724-f.html

2 of the JD's from GWU got thier LLM there, not thier JD. And there are 5 Denver grads out of 17 lawyers, 3 to 1 of any other school. Damn, and one Roger Willaims grad who got his LLM at GWU. Good for that guy!

Yes, hiring works diffrently for LLM. But again, local grads outnumber all other grads even from t14 schools. Its like that at most Denver firms.  I'm amazed at the Roger Williams guy, now that's a school no one has heard of, even in RI.

What do you mean hiring works differently?  Are you talking about OCI?

vansondon

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »
Oh and note they have a DC office, it could be that the GWU's summered in the DC office, then got offers for the frims Denver office becuase that what the firm had open. So we don't know, they could have wanted to be in Denver, or they could have been placed in Denver. So it may not be self selction theat they ended up here. I think you if looked at Denver firms without any east cost offices you would not find as many east coast schools (other than the tops of course).

Martindale shows about 144 results for individual lawyers in Colorado who are graduates from GWU (not sure if they're JD or LLM,though).

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »

Martindale shows about 144 results for individual lawyers in Colorado who are graduates from GWU (not sure if they're JD or LLM,though).

Becuase I'm lazy, do a search for Denver and Colorado and let me know the numbers plaese.

vansondon

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »

Becuase I'm lazy, do a search for Denver and Colorado and let me know the numbers plaese.

lol!  There are 86.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

lol!  There are 63.

what? at that firm or in all of colorado? LOL and 63 total

vansondon

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »

lol!  There are 63.

what? at that firm or in all of colorado? LOL and 63 total

Sorry.  Martindale shows 86 (individual lawyers).

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »

Yea, LLMís are not usually hired through OCI. Some schools allow you to participate in the OCI process, but since most of that is done your 2L summer, 3L or LLM OCI is not that great for finding a job. LLM jobs usually come from a) contacts you made in the LLM program, b) employers seeking out LLM grads (though kind of like OCI but not really done on campus, more give us a list of your LLM grades or tell them to apply) c) getting published and getting jobs from that. I have an MLS/LLM in addition to the JD and it just works differently how your present yourself. I.e. the LLM means you have speclized, so OCI is not that helpful since many firms may not even practice what you specialized in. Itís a lot more targeting your resume to specific firms that have what you specialized in or contacts you made in that specialty, rather than firms coming and OCing for you.  The fact that the firm has so many LLMs from one school likely means they are opne to LLMs and hence would be a good target to apply to if you got one. Some firms won't hire LLMs at all

vansondon

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »

Yea, LLMís are not usually hired through OCI. Some schools allow you to participate in the OCI process, but since most of that is done your 2L summer, 3L or LLM OCI is not that great for finding a job. LLM jobs usually come from a) contacts you made in the LLM program, b) employers seeking out LLM grads (though kind of like OCI but not really done on campus, more give us a list of your LLM grades or tell them to apply) c) getting published and getting jobs from that. I have an MLS/LLM in addition to the JD and it just works differently how your present yourself. I.e. the LLM means you have speclized, so OCI is not that helpful since many firms may not even practice what you specialized in. Itís a lot more targeting your resume to specific firms that have what you specialized in or contacts you made in that specialty, rather than firms coming and OCing for you.  The fact that the firm has so many LLMs from one school likely means they are opne to LLMs and hence would be a good target to apply to if you got one. Some firms won't hire LLMs at all

Very cool. 8)