Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where would it be best for me to go get a recommendation?  (Read 1144 times)

Queen Perry1011

• View Profile
    • Email
where would it be best for me to go get a recommendation?
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:46:51 AM »
Well heres the thing... I am now a senior in my high school. I am going to graduate in spring of 2010 but I am not sure of whom I should have write me a recommendation letter. Or even for that matter how many is best? I am taking one AP class this semester. So who do I go to and how many should I look forward to getting?  ???

GoVols

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: where would it be best for me to go get a recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
I would worry about finishing high school first.  You are years away from even applying to law school. 

lawlawlaw77

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: where would it be best for me to go get a recommendation?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:29:48 AM »
Actually, good on ya for thinking ahead. Your chances of getting in to an awesome school just went up...

In college, involvement is an important thing.  But be careful, if you just sign up for every club in the world and attend a few things here and there you may end of with a well padded but content-less resume.

Try to get community service, university service, and some other academic organization involvement.  Try to be the lead organizer/president as much as you can.

As far as recommendations go I think getting an "awesome" person to do it generally a bad idea.  Everybody knows a federal judge.  Just try to find two professors who you really do enjoy class from.  Get to know them, ask about undergraduate TA opportunities.  You want two letters from professors that know you academically and personally.  You want the letters to reflect your good nature, intellect, and people skills.  They don't have to be famous people, just people who know you.

As  for a third or fourth letter, you can get creative and use someone who is linked to a strong aspect of your resume (maybe the chairman of the board at a service organization you volunteered at for 200hrs...)

Good luck!