Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General Tax LLM INQUIRY  (Read 2102 times)

4TierGrad08

• View Profile
General Tax LLM INQUIRY
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:18 AM »
I have always wanted to be a Tax attorney. I have a BBAin Accounting from a state school; and a JD from a 4tier law school.I am a Licensed Tx attorney and I am finding it hard to get a job/contacts. The past year has been ridiculous for me. I am now thinking about going into a Tax LLM program, to try to rectify my mistake of attending a 4T law school (which was only an issue after I graduated). I have had several internships (including at the FTC), but I remain unable to find a job. I don't want to incur additional loans but I know that if there's no pain, there's no gain. I got admitted to a 1 tier law school for its tax llm program. In the latest rankings it was in the top 20, yet I'm still not sure if it's a worthwhile investment. However, I remain jobless and my student loan reps are stalking me. With no job, job prospects, is it advisable to incur the additional debt, without a guarantee that it will change my standing?

Michigan_Saintsfan

• View Profile
Re: General Tax LLM INQUIRY
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
I have always wanted to be a Tax attorney. I have a BBAin Accounting from a state school; and a JD from a 4tier law school.I am a Licensed Tx attorney and I am finding it hard to get a job/contacts. The past year has been ridiculous for me. I am now thinking about going into a Tax LLM program, to try to rectify my mistake of attending a 4T law school (which was only an issue after I graduated). I have had several internships (including at the FTC), but I remain unable to find a job. I don't want to incur additional loans but I know that if there's no pain, there's no gain. I got admitted to a 1 tier law school for its tax llm program. In the latest rankings it was in the top 20, yet I'm still not sure if it's a worthwhile investment. However, I remain jobless and my student loan reps are stalking me. With no job, job prospects, is it advisable to incur the additional debt, without a guarantee that it will change my standing?

If you "always wanted to be a tax attorney," then why didn't you pursue that in school? You couldn't possibly have thought that an accounting degree qualified you to work in tax. Employers will ask this question.

If you really want tax, as opposed to just really needing a job, then I would guess a JD/CPA would be better for you than JD/LLM. A B4 would look at you. B4 doesn't seem to care so much about the JD school.

BTW-there's only one T1 LLM. I would be shocked to learn you were admitted, even if you're Deborah Schenk's kid.